Tech News

• Matrox's Parhelia Review @ Anandtech

Published: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 | By: Dennis

The gist of the review is we have a great card on paper but fails to deliver under pressure. Reminds me of my first Matrox G200 purchase.

• Bad Interview for Anna Kournikova

It would appear that the WTA is all sorts of pissed with the BBC for airing a botched interview of Anna taking advantage of her distress in typical media manor.

They are just plain mean. angry smile

• Gainward GeForce 4 Powerpack Ultra/700XP Review @ Bjorn3d

Gainward has been doing a pretty good job in getting their products out. I've even seen some of the lower end models at the local CompUSA from time to time. They didn't have much luck overclocking the card though.

"I might have been unlucky since I've seen reports on the web of people who have had better luck. however - I can only report what my card does and it simply just wouldn't allow me to overclock it as much as the Leadtek card. "

Ya what he said, personally I really like the card and can say it overclocks quite well.

• Matrox Parhelia-512 Review & Whining @ Tom's

Not being the types to stay up late the reviewers at Tom's had this to say.

"Needless to say, all these events made for an extremely tight time limit, hindering extensive testing of the card. Therefore, we will be presenting the Parhelia test in two parts."

Do you need a Band-Aid??

• Broken NDAs and Whining Webmasters

This is pretty funny, some hardware site in Germany did a review of the new Matrox Parhelia-512 and posted their results a day early. Of course Kyle @ the OCP caught wind of this and checked it out. Seeing that Matrox was clearly the loser in the benchmark wars Kyle opted to extract his "You didn't send me a sample" revenge.

" At this point I am really wondering what Matrox was thinking. I know full well that they have explained that their Parhelia will be the card for tomorrow, but while it is currently not keeping pace with the current generation's GPUs, across the board, you have to wonder. Triple head gaming is not going to save Matrox this time round if what we saw is correct. I can certainly understand their reasons with not wanting to give the [H] a card at this point"

/Hands Kyle a Band-Aid. (No ointment, you never post any of my stuff.)
    /Hands Redmax a Band-Aid.

• w00t for Yamaha - Burn Images to CD

Published: Monday, June 24, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is the best use for unused space at the end of a burned disk. That is unless you want to burn on it again. Hopefully they will let the user decide what images get burned instead of reverting to the Yamaha logo.

• Prostitution Sting Busts Minister

Published: Monday, June 24, 2002 | By: Dennis

Normally this wouldn't have made the news but the price for services has got to make you wonder if they are desperate or just stupid.

"I went to the corner and talked to her because I was curious. I was interested in what she was doing," Sutton said. "I asked what she charges for sex, and she said, 'What would you give me?' She said it twice, and I said, 'Maybe I'll give you $10."

You can tell they don't do this much in Beaver Falls. shock smile

• Slackware 8.1 Woes

Published: Sunday, June 23, 2002 | By: Dennis

Well it was a Slackware install weekend in celebration of the 8.1 release of Slackware. So far I have yet to get a good install given the many setbacks and problems I've experienced.
    First of all the bootable ISO image wouldn't boot on any of our dedicated linux machines. After further investigation I discovered that the Slackware people used a different size boot image so unless you have an uber new computer fresh from the store or an applicable bios flash supporting the new boot image you'll have to break out the obsolete 3.5" floppies and make a set of boot and root disks (6 total).
    One of the reasons I was so excited about the new Slackware was its support for the major journaling file systems like jfs and xfs. Problem is they didn't apply the patches to the kernel source so be warned if you wish to recompile your kernel while using xfs or jfs.

Stay tuned for more ranting later.

• Fun GeForce4 Mod

Published: Friday, June 21, 2002 | By: Dennis

This mod consists of putting a plexiglass cover over your GeForce 4 heatsink fan then attaching a Led to illuminate the edges.

• Soltek SL-85DR2 Review @ Tweakers Australia

Published: Friday, June 21, 2002 | By: Dennis

The SL-85DR2 is the middle of the road offering from Soltek using the i845E chipset. It features the new Silver PCB design and a series of onboard features.

"Now the board can officially support up to 2GB of PC2100/1600 DDR memory, but unfortunately the Soltek SL-85DR2 only sports two DIMM sockets. Although it helps to reduce the overall dimensions of the board, I still feel that the absolute minimum should be three."

Uhhh, You will need to take that up with Intel.