Tech News

• How to Annoy teh l33t

Published: Thursday, June 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is a petty funny page but considering that the second single most popular page here at Ninjalane is the l33t Dictionary I'm not going to read to much into it.

• The Best of Computex

Published: Thursday, June 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

Much like at the state fair people that display their wares get a prize if its really good. (not sure if booth babes count in the judging) Digitimes has posted the award winners. Top prize goes to Z-Com for their XV-5300/5800 an IEEE 802.11a/b-supporting wireless LAN card and access point.

• Computex Day 3 @ t-break

Published: Wednesday, June 5, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would appear that the first 2 days at Computex are the most exciting with the 3rd being kind of uneventful. After once again oversleeping the t-break guys hit the expo floor and visited with some other top name companies. They include iWill, Gainward (notice the tbreak award), Gigabyte, Albetron, and ECS. On a side note I've noticed a growing number of "silver" motherboards from this show. I gather the Triplex gang is making hella bank.

• Anandtech Computex Day 3

This is a short article for the Anandtech crew but as always is really informative. It turns out that ATI was pissed with VIA about showing the R300 so today they replaced it with a GeForce2. The rest of the article is pretty boring except for the ATI R300 and ATI RV250 stuff. (almost seems like Anand likes the ATI) tongue smile

"Yesterday we brought you pictures of ATI's R300 running in VIA's booth and as we originally guessed it, VIA shouldn't have been showing off the card. It turns out that ATI ended up getting quite upset with VIA but in the end the running R300 card should have been embraced by ATI as some very good PR. Today a visit to VIA's booth revealed an ASUS GeForce2 card running in place of the R300. "

• Dual Prestonia Action

This comes at no suprise really except that they are on a VIA P4X266 chipset. shock smile DDRZone has the photos, go forth and check it out.

• ATI vs. nVidia: Video Wars

Being that I own nVidia stock I shouldn't go around pimping the ATI action but, the R300 sounds just too good. Considering it's the dev card for Doom 3 and is faster then the GF4 (unconfirmed at this point) the nVidia camp might be playing ketchup. tongue smile Yes I spelled it right, its a joke.

• Computex Day 2 @ t-break

Published: Tuesday, June 4, 2002 | By: Dennis

The sleepy heads at t-break have a day 2 write up posted and so far they are the first ones to actually visit the Soltek booth. Others include Ali, Chaintech, Shuttle, and Leadtek. Not much on the Hammer front from t-break cept for a photo of a rather huge Hammer board from Soltek.

• Anandtech Computex Day 2

Anandtech had a good day at Computex as illustrated in their day 2 write-up at the show. Highlights include lots of chipset stuff from Intel, VIA and nVidia. Some info on Dual channel DDR from both Intel and VIA. More stuff on Serial ATA, make sure to check out the Gigabyte pic of a Promise Serial ATA controller with 2 Serial ATA133 connections and one ATA133 40pin connection (this looks to be a promising HDD interface). They even follow up the day with an Asus PDA.

• Xbox Security HaxX0r3d

Leave it to MIT to crax everything. It would seem that with 50 bux worth of parts and a little time Andrew Huang was able to build a device that would read the contents of the "secret boot block" which contains the xbox's primary security.

• Anandtech Computex Day 1

Published: Monday, June 3, 2002 | By: Dennis

Another day 1 from Computex, this time from Anandtech. Anand Lal Shimpi seems to get in good with just about everybody and considering how long he has been on the hardware scene its no wonder why.