Tech News

• Largest PDA Manufacturer Goes Public

Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Hey did you hear about Chanco Wireless?" Man that commercial is annoying (for those not in the US you might not understand). Anyhow High Tech Computer the largest contract PDA Manufacturer has announced that they will going public with shares trading at NT$163.5 (Taiwan currency) which is about $5.10 here in the US (fyi, I could be wrong on the conversion).

• ABIT BD7-RAID Review @ OCTools

Published: Monday, February 25, 2002 | By: Dennis

OCTools takes a look at the BD7-Raid P4 board from ABIT. Knowing how ABIT caters to the enthusiast you can expect a wide variety of overclocking and tweaking features. For instance they overclocked a 1.6GHz Northwood to 2.28GHz shock smile and you can imagine what this kind of OC did to the memory scores.

• Willamette P4 Core Due to Die

Published: Friday, February 22, 2002 | By: Dennis

According to x-bit labs by 3Q of this year the .18 micron P4 core will cease to be manufactured as a Pentium 4. This doesn?t mean we won't ever see the core again considering it may become the next "Celeron" or similar inexpensive processor.

• Mini Lian-Li Case

MicroATX form factor all wrapped in Aluminum, this case isn?t much for show but would make a great LAN or mini server case.

• New Chipsets From VIA and SiS

According to the chart SiS will be slightly ahead of VIA in the P4 arena in March. Here are some things we can expect, DDR400, AGP 8x and 533MHz FSB all on the Pentium 4. DDR400 for the AMD series of processors won't be until the end of 2Q.

Here is something I noticed of interest, could VIA be skipping the KT333A?? "KT400" - "Greatly updated version of KT333"

• GameSpy and XBOX

Not more than a few weeks after the XBOX launch a crafty programmer figured out how to tunnel traffic from the XBOX though a computer to enable online XBOX game play. The software ran on Linux, was kind of buggy, and had a huge overhead. It would appear that GameSpy has refined the idea and is now marketing it to the masses. Now if only I had bought a lifetime license back in '95 sad smile

• MSI 645 Ultra Review @ accelenation

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2002 | By: Dennis

This was one of the first SiS645 enabled motherboards out and it is still being reviewed. I especially like how the IDE connections are now in the lower left of the board instead of the lower right. shock smile oh, and btw you can boot to a command prompt in Windows XP. tongue smile You will have to read he review to find out what I mean.

• VIA KT333 Announced Today

Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 | By: Dennis

We have heard the rumors and even seen some board samples but until today nobody could post any info about the chips performance. As you might have guessed this is the hot news for the day and all of the k00l kids got samples to review. I'd suggest starting at [H]ard|OCP or Anandtech and digress from there.

• MSI 845 Ultra-ARU DDR Review @ PC Stats

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 | By: Dennis

Once again we have some more crazy red MSI action, this time with the Intel i845D chipset. The MSI 845 Ultra-ARU features 3 DIMM sockets, Promise ATA133 with RAID USB 2.0 and a veriety of overclocking features.

• Soyo Fire Dragon & Dragon Ultra Reviews @ HotHardware

Published: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 | By: Dennis

Just recently I've become quite a fan of Soyo and their DRAGON series of motherboards and these second generation samples are quite impressive due to the addition of a Promise ATA133 controller.