Tech News

• Rounded vs. Flat ATA Cables that is

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2001 | By: Dennis

Systemlogic, a site that cannot close an link tag has posted proof to an age old question. "Do rounded ATA cables hurt system performance?" I remember back when ATA66 and the new 80wire ATA cable where released. The added wires where supposed to decreases data corruption over the high-speed bus. So if you decide to round your ATA cables do so with care, and in groups of 5.

• Dual Athlon Review @ GamePC

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

For once I was able to read something at 2cpu.com without having the text be all squished up against the side. They have having problems with Netscape, again. :)

Anyevent, GamePC took a long hard look at a Dual Athlon setup and found the performance to be poor at best. Considering this is AMD's first stab at SMP I'm not surprised. See the review here

• .13 Micron Tualatin

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 | By: Dennis

It looks like the .13 micron Pentium 3's are going to be released in two phases. The first being a non-SMP version followed by an SMP'able version both having with 512k of cache. So it looks like Intel will once again try their hands at a +1Ghz Pentium3 but this time the processor will be a Server only application.

• Removal of Playtime Case Mod

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 | By: Dennis

Some of you may have seen my latest case mod that we called "Playtime". Well due to unforeseen complications it was requested of me to remove the "Playtime" case mod from my website. Sorry for any inconvenience.
    Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

• Hydraulic Full-Tower Case Review @ GideonTech

Published: Monday, June 18, 2001 | By: Dennis

If you remember back a few months ago we did a case mod on a case just like this one. If you missed it before see it again. Stealth Mod

• Hercules GeForce Tweak Utility

Published: Sunday, June 17, 2001 | By: Dennis

I saw over at the RivaStation that a new tweak utility has been released by Hercules for their Nvidia based products. I would suggest only installing it if you can't get coolbits to work. Just for the record I have the Det 12.60 installed on my GeForce3 and after installing the coolbits I was able to overclock the card, not sure why everyone else is having problems.
    Hercules Tweak Utility

• GeForce3 Reviews Abound

Published: Friday, June 15, 2001 | By: Dennis

Looking around the net I see that with the retail release of the GeForce3 there have been an explosion of reviews and comments about the new chip from Nvidia. Anandtech, and Hard|OCP have reviews up. I even noticed the other day that Arstechnica posted a friendly blurb saying they are sorry for being skeptical.

About 3 weeks ago I became a proud owner of the Prophet III and all I've had is troubles. Once I figure out what the root of the problem is I'll let you all know.

• Spyware and Creative Labs

Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 | By: Dennis

I can understand installing spyware into free programs but when you actually pay for the product thats going to far. I think the ole SoundBlaster Live! is going to be replaced in short order, but only because it sux.

• Dual-Head Linux

Source Magazine web published an article on dual monitor support under linux. I think I might give it a try; I've been running dual monitors on my Win2k box for quite some time now. The extra monitor space is very helpful with the type of work I do.

All I need now is a KVM that works with dual monitors and I'd be set.

• Email working again

Well after a long chat with my new web host it would seem that my email is now working. I apologize to anyone that tried to contact me via email and got their message returned.