Tech News

• Oxygen good for the brain?

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 | By: Dennis

Here is a funny tidbit that has some scientific backing. It appears that sugar and oxygen help us all do mental tasks. Could this be the reason we are compelled to drink soda (i.e. Jolt, Pepsi, Mtn. Dew, etc...) while working on complex mental tasks like playing games or homework? Or maybe it is just the caffeine.

• New hardware at Ninjalane

Published: Monday, April 9, 2001 | By: Dennis

The word in the grapevine is that here in the next few weeks I'll be getting my hands on some new hardware to review. The products include a kickin' new aluminum case and two motherboards from Freeway. Stay tuned I know I am.

• Ninjalane Down again :(

Published: Sunday, April 8, 2001 | By: Dennis

Well a few days ago we had another outage here at Ninjalane.com. It seems that this time the DNS server went down.

For those of you that don't know a Directory Name Service (DNS) server translates the IP address into a friendly format www.xxx.zzz. Now if the server goes down for some reason or another the conversion won't take place and the browser gives you the error saying the site cannot be found.
    For more information on this subject check out this site. An Introduction to DNS

• Nvidia against Kyro II

Published: Thursday, April 5, 2001 | By: Dennis

The register reports that Nvidia has been trying to persuade retailers not to stock rival Kyro II based video cards. They say that Buying Kyro 2 is a risk. When cards and PCs get returned it damages your finances and your reputation.

They have a point, though I suspect they are just trying to secure their holdings on the market.

• "Sharky" calls it quits

Published: Tuesday, April 3, 2001 | By: Dennis

I still remember when "Sharky" and I were chatting on IRC. He was looking for some talented web people to help him with this website he was starting. The site, sharkyextreme, was going to do reviews of new computer hardware and by the looks of it he did quite well for himself. I would have taken him up on the offer but I was still in college at the time and couldn't relocate.

Looking back, I'm still wondering what would have happened if I'd taken him up on the offer.

• All your communications belong to Micro$oft

Published: Monday, April 2, 2001 | By: Dennis

You know those agreements that you always click though saying you read and understood the information contained within? Well it looks like the Register has decoded the agreement for the Microsoft passport service (Hotmail and MSN Messenger) and look what it has to say.

• Tech Extreme on Serious Sam

Published: Monday, April 2, 2001 | By: Dennis

It looks like I'm not the only one bored that there is no hardware to review. Check out this review of Serious Sam.

• Serious Sam

Published: Sunday, April 1, 2001 | By: Dennis

There hasn't been much happening in the world of hardware lately so I thought I would tell you about this new game I picked up other day.
    Serious Sam, a new game built on a completely new engine from Croteam. In a way it brings back memories of Duke Nukem 3D and the original Quake, just more intense and with better graphics. The game engine was built with the idea that the maps would be large and have countless amounts of opponents to kill. Some of the maps that I played had over 2000 entities with maybe 500 on screen at one time.

If Doom 3 is anything like Serious Sam it is going to rock!

• Nvidia GeForce5

Published: Sunday, April 1, 2001 | By: Dennis

a Year ahead of schedule the GeForce5 is the fastest Video card on the planet. All due in part to the on-board SLI technology Nvidia bought from 3Dfx.

Yes it is a spoof site, April Fools :)

• War Driving?

Published: Friday, March 30, 2001 | By: Dennis

I remember back in the day sitting at my ole Tandy 1000SX and running a program called a War Dialer. The idea was to have the computer dial a set of phone numbers and then let you know what ones had computers on the other end. Later that day you could review the logs and have something to do for the next few hours. It was great fun though with the advent of Caller ID, *67, and the mainstream use of the Internet war dialing doesn't have much use anymore.

This new concept is really quite similar but involves wireless networking.