News

Amazon is Killing off Nvidia GPUs with its new MMO

Published: | Posted By:

I've never been into playing MMO, there is something about the monthly fee and pressure to play that doesn't make it fun.  Then you have to deal with "other people" messing with your stuff and I aint got time for that.

But, that is just my opinion and I know there is a HUGE group of people who not only disagree but have extra time to devote to playing a game with friends.  Funny thing is, I have been known to play a little Golf which is basically the real world version of a MMO, esp if you throw in Country Club fees.

Anyhow, I digress because the new Amazon MMO has been cited as killing off high end RTX 3090 cards due to unchecked framerates in many of the loading screens.  Normally the NVIDIA hardware will monitor this but, something in the game is bypassing those checks and killing the VRM.

Here is a clip from PCGamer.com who has been following the story.

New World makes standard DirectX calls as provided by the Windows API. We have seen no indication of widespread issues with 3090s, either in the beta or during our many months of alpha testing.

The New World Closed Beta is safe to play. In order to further reassure players, we will implement a patch today that caps frames per second on our menu screen. We’re grateful for the support New World is receiving from players around the world, and will keep listening to their feedback throughout Beta and beyond."

Update:
An Amazon customer service rep acknowledged an issue with "Nvidia RTX 3090 Series & 100% GPU Usage" in a forum post on Wednesday. The developer recommends turning off "the overrides in the driver settings," but the only specific instruction given is to set 'Max Frame Rate' to 'Off' in the Nvidia control panel (its default state) and rely on the in-game frame rate limiting option.

The post does not respond to claims that the issue has broken certain RTX 3090s.

They go on to say that things like "overclocking" and "voltage tweaks could be a contributing factor along with being mostly isolated to EVGA RTX 3090 cards.

This would not be the first time that EVGA cards have been singled out, or maybe it should be the EVGA "users" doing what EVGA "users" do that should be to blame.  

Related Web URL: https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-new-world-killing-r...