Tech News

• AMD Cutting Costs 350 Million Worth

Published: Friday, October 18, 2002 | By: Dennis

"A major shift in AMD's marketing strategy in launching its next generation Hammer family of processors came to light in the analysts conference call. Rob Herb, executive vice president of sales and marketing, said the Opteron server version of Hammer to be introduced in mid-2003 will precede the Athlon desktop Hammer chip. "

So how many server chips do you think will appear on desktops across the tech world in mid-2003?? I'd say alot.

• AeroCool Pentium 4 Cooler

Published: Friday, October 18, 2002 | By: Dennis

I was checking out their x-factor cooler http://www.aerocool.com.tw/main.html when I found this guy. Looks similar to the AVC Sunflower huh? The specs seem to be similar though the fan spins slower.

• No Apple at MacWorld

Published: Thursday, October 17, 2002 | By: Dennis

Sounds kind of stupid but I guess Apple really wanted to be in New York instead of Boston.

" In a terse statement released to the press on Thursday morning, Apple said it will not have a presence at Macworld when the giant show moves from New York to Boston in 2004. Apple will continue to take part at Macworld in San Francisco, held in January, the company said. "

I bet there is another reason behind this. wink smile

• BMW M3 Easter Egg

It would appear that Easter eggs are not limited to computer software and DVD's anymore, the new BMW M3 has one too. It would seem that after pressing the right buttons in the right order then dropping the hammer to 5 grand will launch you forward from a standing stop.

"For lucky drivers of this hot car, here's how: Switch off the stability system and select shift program six. Switch the engine to sport mode. With the hand shifter in drive, hold it in the downshift position and press the gas pedal. The engine will rev to the preprogrammed rpm and hold. Now release the shifter. The car will launch forward violently and the engine's revs will climb quickly, so be prepared to upshift. "

I'm not lucky so don't come crying to me if it doesn't work. oh and it would appear that the US model is not as aggressive so make sure you get the European software installed.

• Armadillo Armada in the Private Space Race

If the Armadillo Armada wins they will all be 10 million richer and have fame and fortune to boot. The thing that makes this kind of amusing is that John Carmack is the ring leader of this little group.

"For fun, Carmack used to modify twin turbo-charged Italian sports cars, until he had a Eureka moment.

"I thought to myself, you know, for less money that I spend on Ferraris the past decade, I think I can make my own spaceship." "

I just thought the same thing. sad smile I am also thinking he should get back to work on Doom III so we can all play it before the end of the year. tongue smile

• Dow Falls Due to Earnings Report from Intel

Actually there is more to this story than just some poor earnings reports from Intel, Consumers aren't buying anything! So how about we just blame it all on the..... day traders.. ya thats the ticket. tongue smile

Seriously though,
    "Chuck Hill, director of research at Thomson First Call in Boston, said the Intel report served as a "wake-up call" to investors. He said the report provided a sobering reminder that much of this month's earnings news won't be as cheery as some of the reports that fueled the recent upswing.

"It's very difficult for the market to go up on a sustained basis when analysts are slashing estimates," Hill said. "Our fear is that the slashing is not over yet.""

News is a little slow today so feel free to check out the Ninjalane World News section for more stories.

• Dual-Channel Chipset Boards Shown at the APAC IDF

Published: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Motherboards supporting Intel’s upcoming Granite Bay, Placer and Plumas 533-based chipsets were showcased on October 15 at the Asia-Pacific Intel Developer Forum (APAC IDF) Fall 2002, signaling Intel’s separation from the Rambus DRAM (RDRAM) platform."

Granite Bay and Placer chipsets with Dual-channel DDR look to be the next best thing for the Pentium 4.

Can you say "Bandwidth"? I knew you could. cool smile

• Four-Core Itanium Processor

Yesterday Intel described how they could create a new processor using 4 Itanium 2 processors. Each of the cores would share a common cache and leverage resources off of each other increasing efficiency.

"Crawford went on to describe a hypothetical processor that would contain four Itanium 2 cores and 12 to 16 megabytes of shared cache memory, all connected through a leaf interconnect scheme. Each Itanium 2 processor would contain about 120 million transistors while the cache would carry 700 million to 950 million transistors, bringing the total transistor budget to well over 1 billion, he said."

• MSI Launches i845PE Motherboards

"Offering a total memory of 2GB, the 845PE Max and 845PE Max2 support DDR333 PC2700/DDR PC2100 SDRAM with two and three DDR DIMM slots, respectively. Both motherboards are also designed with six USB 2.0 ports, one AGP 4x and six PCI slots."

They even have onboard gigabit Ethernet. big grin smile

• Soltek SL-75FRV Motherboard Review Posted

Published: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 | By: Dennis

The Soltek SL-75FRV is quite an impressive KT400 motherboard. It features the Purple Ray PCB, A wide variety of overclocking controls (including RedStorm) and even semi-official DDR400 memory support.