Tech News

• The Worlds Funniest Joke

Published: Thursday, October 3, 2002 | By: Dennis

The joke with the highest global rating, meaning that more people in the entire world voted for it is as follows:

"Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps: "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says: "Calm down, I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: "OK, now what?""

LOL big grin smile

I'm amazed they actually did some real research; check out the article for more info.

• Wormhole Computing

The basic premise here is similar to what happened in Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. If you remember towards the end when Bill and Ted are in the jailhouse Ted says to himself "Remember a trashcan". Well after the history report they remembered that they needed to help their now, now past, selves and dropped a trashcan on the guard. It gets even more complicated with the keys but that’s another story.

Anyhow the theoretical physicist Todd Brun is thinking it would be pretty cool to use wormhole theories to send data back to computers from the future making computing tasks take no time at all.

Now if I remember correctly the theory of time travel is that you can travel from present time to the future and then back to present but you cannot travel back in time unless the "past" initiates the request, so I'm guessing that the computer will travel though time solving problems and come back to the present with the answers?? tongue smile

• AMD Stock Price Falls

"Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) traded at $5 in light volume on Instinet, down from its Wednesday close at $5.37 after the company, the chief rival of Intel Corp. (INTC) in the market for microprocessors, warned of a "substantial operating loss" and sharply lower-than-expected revenue in the third quarter, citing a weak personal computer market. Intel slipped to $14.15 from its close of $14.30."

Or it could be the whole "hey we got a new chip but you can't have it yet." sort of thing.

• Mitnick Sells Laptops

Kevin Mitnick has really become quite a celebrity in recent months. The ScreenSavers gang loves the guy even allowing him to host an episode of The ScreenSavers with Steve Wozniak in Sept.

On that show Kevin showed off the laptops that the FBI confiscated and mentioned that he has plans to sell them on ebay. Well the auction has started and as of this writing pulled in a $15,000 bid for each meeting their reserve price. With 3 days left how high do you think they will go?

The nicer 486DX
    The older and quite dirty 486SX25

Both of these laptops are signed by Steve and Kevin and feature FBI documentation proving their authenticity.

• Xbox Mod Chip Maker Shut Down

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to enhance security in the Xbox and now they are going after mod chip companies to "tie up loose ends" so to speak.

"Lik Sang was one of the top worldwide retailers of mod chips, devices that, once soldered to a game console's main circuit board, disable security components. The chips typically allow a game machine to play legally and illegally copied discs, run unauthorized software and play game discs intended for other geographic regions."

• A Serious Sequel

Published: Wednesday, October 2, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is hardly news but there is rumors flying around about another Serious Sam Sequel being released in 2k3 for both the PC and Xbox.

• Returning Advertiser - Misr Corp

I would like to take a moment and welcome Misr Corp back to Ninja Lane as a returning advertiser. Misr Corp is one of the only authorized distributors of Soltek parts here in the United States and we are very glad to have them back.

One of the hot items that is being released this month is the Soltek SL-75FRV KT400 motherboard and at a very reasonable price. big grin smile

• Playboy Case Mod Collections

Ahh this brings back memories. None of the text is in English but the pictures speak pretty well for themselves.

• AMD Launches Two new Processors - Sort of..

Published: Tuesday, October 1, 2002 | By: Dennis

The hot news of the day is the Launch of two new processors from AMD the 2700+ and 2800+. I'm only going to post one link today dealing with the processor release since the reviews deal with hardware that hardly anyone can get. (kind of defeats the purpose IMO) angry smile

• Lian Li PC-6089 Aluminum Case Review @ Explosive Labs

Published: Tuesday, October 1, 2002 | By: Dennis

This case is pretty much just like every other Lian Li case with the addition of a removable door and LED strips.