Tech News

• Paper Airplanes by Joe Palmer

Published: Monday, September 30, 2002 | By: Dennis

Or not, I've been folding a variation of PL-4 since the early 80's. It was in a paper airplane book that I got from the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C.

• New Athlons This Week

" Advanced Micro Devices Inc. will roll out its fastest processors yet, the Athlon XP 2800+ and 2700+, during a news conference on Tuesday, according to sources close to the company."

I thought these processors where delayed until around Christmas, I'm not going to be one to complain though.

"The new chips, in addition to running at higher frequencies than the current top-of-the-line 2600+, will feature a 333MHz front side bus, which should enable the 2800+ to perform about 10 percent faster than the 2600+ with its 266MHz front side bus. "

• Itanium Bet gets "Iffy"?

"Google -- the Internet's leading search engine, powered by an arsenal of computers with 15,000 microprocessors -- should be a premier customer for Intel's new Itanium 2 super-chip.

Itanium, a joint project of Intel and Hewlett-Packard, Silicon Valley's two largest companies, has been in the laboratory for more than a decade. Itanium is designed to excel at a sweeping array of advanced computing tasks, from solving grand scientific challenges to rendering complex graphics to slicing through vast databases. With more than 200 million transistors on each chip, it is designed to process data in big bites -- 64 bits, in chipspeak -- at blazing speeds.

But Google isn't buying."
    sad smile

• ATI R350 Chip

ATI is posed to do battle with the up coming NV30 from nVidia, not much is known about the new processor except that it will follow the .15 micron process to increase overall chip yield and will most likely be faster than the current Radeon 9700 Pro.

• B-version Chipsets with Hyper-Threading

Published: Friday, September 27, 2002 | By: Dennis

Sometime during the 4th quarter both Intel and SiS will be released Hyper-Threading chipsets dubbed the B-versions. Some current Pentium 4 chipsets can be updated with a BIOS flash but others like the i845G cannot.

"Adopted only by Intel’s workstation products at the moment, Hyper-Threading allows one processor to work as a dual-processor set and requires specifically-supporting chipsets and operating systems (usually Windows NT and above) for full performance. Currently, Intel’s new DDR333-based 845GE and 845PE chipsets are the only two products that can immediately support the technology."

• AMD 333MHz-FSB Athlon in October

"Gearing up for competition against Intel in the high-end market, AMD has endeavored to extend its product portfolio for the sector. After its roll-out of the Athlon XP 2600+ in August, pushing the product’s clock speed to over 2GHz, AMD will soon introduce two new processors, the Athlon XP 2700+ and Athlon XP 2800+, its first 333MHz FSB (front-side bus)-based products."

Cannot wait big grin smile

• Antec Hard Drive Cooler Review @ Bjorn3d

Bjorn3D has really cranking out the reviews lately. This time they are featuring a hard drive cooler from Antec. Personally I find the under drive coolers to provide similar cooling properties without the noise and extra cleaning.

• Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro Review @ AMDworld UK

Here we have a review of a Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro with the ever-popular "pumpkin" colored PCB.

We also have blurry photos, and bad page formatting. Go figure.

• LinOra Corporation Switches from Microsoft to Linux on the Desktop

This is kind of old news but hits right at home.

"Ximian, Inc., the leading open source desktop company, today announced that LinOra Corporation, a Boise, Idaho-based professional services firm, transitioned its desktop PC users across its entire office from Microsoft Windows to Linux-a move made possible by Ximian™ Evolution™, a groupware suite for personal information management that runs on Linux and UNIX-based systems. As a result of the switch, which took just three months to complete, LinOra eliminated common Windows virus threats while reducing licensing and maintenance costs considerably. "

You won't see Linux on my desktop anytime soon but I have no problem with letting Linux protect and contol my internal network.

• 37 OS's On One Machine

Published: Thursday, September 26, 2002 | By: Dennis

I saw this guy on The ScreenSavers (TechTV show) a few weeks back and I must say the system is quite amazing.