Tech News

• AMD Processor Roadmap *updated*

Published: Monday, September 16, 2002 | By: Dennis

I'm thinking maybe by Christmas?

• China Has Google Again

Published: Friday, September 13, 2002 | By: Dennis

" Users in Shanghai and Beijing reported on Thursday that they could once again view Google, widely used by China's 30 million-plus Net users because it has a powerful feature for finding Chinese-language material online. "

According to the report AltaVista is still being rerouted despite the ban being lifted. dissapprove smile On a side note check out the PC in the news photo, I sure hope people in China aren't still using IBM PS/2's happy smile

• Hammer Delayed

" The desktop version of Hammer, which is code-named Clawhammer and will be marketed under the Athlon brand name, will ship to PC manufacturers in the first quarter of 2003 and will hit store shelves toward the end of that quarter or at the beginning of the next"

Delays are inevitable but a missed launch window can really hurt market position, though making sure the chip is ready is the important thing. The next part of the article will not only hurt AMD but will also effect chipset sales for sure.

" Similarly, the company will postpone the commercial release of "Barton," a new version of the Athlon chip with a performance-enhancing 512KB secondary cache, from the second half of this year to the first quarter of next year. " sad smile

• KT400 Board From Soltek

The latest edition to the Purple Ray series of motherboards from Soltek is called the SL-75FRV, (or SL-75DRV if you look at the HTML page header.) The board reads like a grocery list of chipset features including AGP 8x, DDR 266/333/400 and ATA 133 to name a few.

I do remember seeing a QuakeCon picture of this board with a silver PCB, considering the timeframe I suspect it was a pre-release model.

• So, Did you go to the Moon??

Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin is accused of punching a guy, Bart Sibrel, for being annoying and down right rude (for the sake of his movie).

"I approached him and asked him again to swear on a Bible that he went to the moon, and told him he was a thief for taking money to give an interview for something he didn't do"

Say it aint so plucky say it aint so.... tongue smile

The coolest part of the whole thing, "Buzz", at 72, can still kick ass.

• Rambus Sent Packing

Published: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Bill Siu, vice president and general manager of the desktop platform group, said all new chipsets will support only DDR."

Nuff said cool smile

• Dremel Case Modding Contest

Dremel is hosting a case modding contest with a grand prize worth over tree-fiddy ($350). I wonder if you get extra points for using the oldest Dremel?? hummm

• Danger Den Watercooling @ OverclockersClub

A must read for someone wanting to get into watercooling, and I might add this is one of the better watercooling kits that I've seen.

• Serial ATA - An Overview

Quite a few people have spoke of Serial ATA and we have all seen the pictures but what is all the hype about?? TechWatch has got you covered.

• Pentium 4 @ 4.7GHz

Published: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 | By: Dennis

Intel approved overclocking at the Intel Developers Forum.

"For speed freaks, Otellini also demonstrated a 4.5GHz Pentium 4 processor onstage. He was able to rev the chip to 4.7GHz before the machine konked out and offered up a blue screen."