Tech News

• Intel HyperThreading - The Multitasking Chip

Published: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Hyperthreading will appear in the 3GHz Pentium 4 for desktops, due later in the quarter. The technology allows different elements of the chip, such as the integer unit for graphics processing and the floating-point unit for complex calculations, to be active at the same time. "

• No Google in China

"Chinese Internet users trying to access the blocked search engine Google are now being routed to an array of similar sites in China, apparently at the behest of the government, in what may be the latest sign of an escalating media clampdown ahead of November's Communist Party congress."

A sysadmin had this to say.

""They're not acting as administrators. They're acting as hackers," he said. "They're impersonating authority that they don't in fact actually have.""

I think they are upset, how about you?

• Advanced Process Control for the 300mm

AMD and UMC have come together to give 300mm wafer processing a boost in precision.

"By automating complex processes in high-volume manufacturing, the technology will allow the two firms to minimize costs by reducing manufacturing errors. The technology is also expected to increase productivity, thereby increasing revenue per wafer. "

• Apple Preps for OSX only Booting

I'm not sure what this means but the figures are what really gets me.

"Apple reckons that 20 per cent of its entire user base will be using Mac OS X by the end of the year, "making it the fastest operating system transition in recent history". Mac OS X has been the default factory-setting OS on all Macs since January 2002, according to Apple, which estimates that 75 per cent of buyers have elected to retain it as their OS.

So that means 25 per cent have actually been bothered to switch. Which sounds fairly substantial to us."

Here is where you do some match and wonder how many people could get pissed off, oh wait these are mac users.. ummm nevermind wink smiletongue smile

• Mac's Sold with Linux Onboard

"For the past few weeks, Moline, Ill.-based QliTech Linux Computers has been selling PowerBooks, iBooks and Power Macs containing both Mac OS X and one of several flavors of Linux, designed to run on PowerPC chips used by Macs. "

What do you suppose Apple will have to say about this.

• WindowsXP, HyperThreading, and You

Published: Monday, September 9, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Intel Corp. is expected to unveil this week a performance-enhancing technology that's due in an upcoming release of its 3GHz Pentium 4. But an apparent lack of necessary support from Microsoft Corp. will mean few early adopters will be able to take advantage of it."

They are speaking mostly in terms to your OS and does it support the new technology.

"But the technology requires software designed for multiprocessor systems. Currently, most consumer software products, including Windows XP Home Edition, don't support hyperthreading."

• Strange Site Behavior

Over the past month I have been noticing a detrimental site issue that will keep my asp scripts from processing. I am actively looking into this and hopes of finding a solution.

My webhost claims the problem stems from some server upgrades that they are doing though it seems a little far-fetched for me to believe.

• AMD Opteron in China

AMD had K8-core samples (both workstation and server) on display at the CeBit show in Shanghai this month. The processors are still not due to hit the market until next year and expected to stay out of the mainstream until at least the 3rd quarter of 2k3.

• Dual Band 802.11a/b From Linksys

I saw this item on the Linksys website not to long ago and it looks to be the way to go considering how popular 802.11b is.

"The 802.11a standard will probably never see a life of its own unless it is married with the more popular 802.11b technology to provide dual-band support for wireless networking, according to an industry executive."

• How to be a "web designer"

Published: Sunday, September 8, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is sooo very funny. The sad part is I can actually remember dealing with designers that fit this profile almost excatly.