Tech News

• Typhoon Sinlaku Stops Work in Northern Taiwan

Published: Friday, September 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Classified as a mid-strength typhoon, Sinlaku is bringing force 7 (>15m/s) winds up to 300km, and force 10 (>25m/s) winds up to 100km, from its eye. Maximum sustained winds are reaching 40m/s, with gusts up to 50m/s (about 112.5mph)."

The major concern is flooding due to the amount of rain a typhoon brings.

• Slackware 9 Beta

This is some good news for us Slackware Linux users though I suspect it will be quite a while before we see a production release.

• New Contest at viaarena

"The word overclocking is derived from the exercise of running a CPU device at speeds above the CPU's officially rated clock speed. Normally overclocking will result in higher CPU core temperatures, PCI/AGP-bus speeds running out of specifications, which often leaves the user with a non-reliable computer system.

The VapoChill technology effectively addresses the reliability and stability issues on two fronts: CPU heat management and specialized motherboard features. Where the temperature issue is dealt with through the functionality of the VapoChill technology the motherboard related issues have been addressed through a formalized R&D relation between asetek and ASUSTek Computer Inc., one of the worlds leading motherboard manufacturers and now also VIA Mainboards.

VIA Mainboards are proud to support this technology, to give our customers the opportunity to build an ultimate high performance system, coupled with unsurpassed stability and features."

Your on your own here, shock smile

• Bad Greece, No Cookie

Published: Thursday, September 5, 2002 | By: Dennis

Due to a recent law being passed you could land yourself jail time for playing and/or owning an electronic game. This includes games on cell phones, game consoles, game boys, and even game software for your home computer.

"Greek Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic games with "electronic mechanisms and software" from public and private places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of dollars for playing or owning games.

The law applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are banned, you should not bring them in," said a commercial attaché at the Greek Embassy in London, who declined to give her name. "

Looks like I won't be going to Greece any time soon.

• Tyan Moves to Taiwan

Published: Thursday, September 5, 2002 | By: Dennis

I have been a long fan of Tyan products and it was just a bonus to have them HQ'ed in the US, well in an attempt to strength the Asia-Pacific market Tyan has decided to move their operation and development headquarters to Taiwan.

I wonder how this will effect the US sales and perception of Tyan.

• Intel Price Cuts

Published: Wednesday, September 4, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would seem that if you are in the market for a Pentium 4 you should wait until the last possible second to place your order since a 50+% drop in price is very significant.

I seem to remember when the Pentium 4 first came to market prices where changing every second. This was in part due to high demand and very low supply. Well now the tables have turned, supply has changed and P4's are cheaper than ever.

• Barton in October

Published: Wednesday, September 4, 2002 | By: Dennis

The AthlonXP "Barton" XP2700+ processor that is.

"Supporting a 333MHz FSB (front-side bus) and 512K cache memory, the 0.13-micron Barton-based Athlon XP offers specifications comparable to those of Intel’s new Pentium 4, AMD said. At present, the processor maker plans to launch two Barton-based products in the fourth quarter."

I think October will be very interesting but only if the KT400 performs as expected. big grin smile

• EPoX "Beaver" EP-4BEAV Review @ Techware Labs

Published: Monday, September 2, 2002 | By: Dennis

EPoX is one of the only companies out there still producing boards with a green PCB, pretty soon people will think green is a special color big grin smile The "Beaver" motherboard based on the i845G chipset from Intel and has onboard lan by Realtek, USB 2.0 by VIA and optional Bluetooth if you spring for a dongle.

• Intel "Springdale" Chipset Samples this Month

The article doesn't go into much detail but does mention that motherboard clients will get samples of the chipset this month.

A quick search at Google turned up this little gem of info for the "Springdale deprived" tongue smile

• Hercules Radeon 3DProphet 8500 Review @ Bjorn3D

This just in:
    "Gene recently took on the Hercules Radeon 3DProphet 8500 128MB vid card. With the Radeon 9700's just starting to hit now some great deals can be found on 8500 cards so come take a look at what this Hercules card has got to offer!

"With great TV-out support and respectable 3D performance, the Hercules 3DProphet 8500 is a decent bang-for-the-buck video card." "