Tech News

• Techware Labs

Published: Monday, July 29, 2002 | By: Dennis

Techware Labs is now open to the general public and even features a snazzy new site design. In case you didn't know the owner of Techware Labs used to run Hardware Pub until the domain name was hijacking due to an incident with their registrar.

• AGP 4x vs. 8x - Whats the Big Deal??

Using a SiS648 reference board and a Xaber400 video card the crew at HardwareZone attempt to find out. The results are surprising yet somewhat un-encouraging considering where the performance gain is.

• Get ready for the LPGT&A

This almost sounds like a happpy gilmore approach to the LPGA, check out some of these requirements.

"The time allotted to search for a lost ball will be increased from 5 to 10 minutes. However, there is a caveat: You must wait until the camera is on you before bending over."

There are a few more check them out. tongue smile

• Away For the Weekend

Published: Friday, July 26, 2002 | By: Dennis

Well it's going to be a long weekend for me starting tomorrow i've just got to get away wink smile. I'll update the World News section before I leave and if all goes well I'll be back Sunday.

Keep it real and feel free to send in your tech news or funny stuff for posting in Mondays news update. Oh also make sure to check out the Forums I've added a few minor enhancements but what we really need is new members.

• The Big Book of Sign Language

Published: Thursday, July 25, 2002 | By: Dennis

I almost died laughing after seeing some of the signs they are showing. Not really work friendly but you could prolly get away with it.

"revised, expanded, fully up-to-date illustrated manual of contemporary American sign language, sometimes referred to as "finger spelling"."

• Falling Space Rocks!

Published: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 | By: Dennis

According to this article at the BBC News astronomers predict a near Earth asteroid impact on 1 February, 2019.

"Astronomers have given the object a rating on the so-called Palermo technical scale of threat of 0.06, making NT7 the first object to be given a positive value. "

It makes an orbit around the sun every 2.2 years so more will be known before the impact date.

• SiS 648 Chipset Review @ Anandtech

Published: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 | By: Dennis

The chipset is basically a SiS 645DX with AGP 8x support and a few features added to the southbridge. Performance wise this chipset almost matches the i850, and for DDR333 thats pretty dang good.

"SiS is the only 3rd party manufacturer other than ATI to have an official license from Intel to produce chipsets for the Pentium 4 platform. Although VIA engineered a perfectly fine chipset without obtaining this seal of approval, they are having a very hard time selling their P4X series of chipsets because of the chipset’s questionable legality. With ATI focusing mostly on the mobile side of the market, SiS is left to produce all of the more cost effective Pentium 4 chipsets. "

• 3GHz by the Holidays!!

Published: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 | By: Dennis

"The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker will come out with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 for desktops later this quarter, and a 3GHz Pentium 4 in time for the holiday buying season, said sources close to the company. Earlier, the company said it would come out with a 3GHz Pentium 4 in the fourth quarter. "

Uhhh, like Umm, Yeah!! big grin smile Though soon the Hammer will fall, could it shatter the P4??

• Quake 3 Arena TV

The CPL is thinking about bringing Quake based competition back to the tournament and to start things off they are planning to host a 1-vs-1 match on TechTV in September.

• VIA Mini-ITX Form Factor

In Taiwan and Japan there is a big push to make computers and electronics smaller so you can fit more of them in a standard apartment. At 170mm x 170mm the Mini-ITX fits this requirement but while only using the 733MHz VIA chip LAN parties will not be its strong point.