Tech News

• Microsoft Against the Illegal Use of XP

Published: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is kind of old news but still important; Microsoft is working on a rewrite to the algorithm that controls the way Windows XP Corporate keys are generated. The code will be inserted seamlessly into the Service Pack 1 bundle of Windows XP and is aimed at stopping the use of pirated copies.

Looking back it only took a day for even beta releases of XP to be cracked could this release take two?? Time will tell.

• Taisol 3-Way @ PC Abusers

Known for their "Approved by AMD" status Taisol has moved on to the P4 realm and the Abusers of PC have three in the lab for questioning, I even spy one with an upgraded fan.

• i845E Roundup @ Explosive Labs

Pretty much your standard run of the mill round up between FIC, Soltek, and Epox.

"The average pc enthusiast knows Soltek to be a maker of stable, high performing, and affordable products. Soltek even enjoys a nice size flash ad at Tomshardware, because of their incredible success."

Its good to know that an ad at Tomshardware is how you judge a good company from a bad one.

• Another Slow Day

Published: Monday, July 22, 2002 | By: Dennis

It's kind of slow today so I figured I would post an update as to what has been going on here at Ninjalane. First of all after a year of planning and development Ninjalane v2.0 has finally gotten off the ground though the code base will still feature Classic ASP the structure is XHTML. A plan to move the code base to ASP.NET (.aspx) will happen sometime after launch. No launch date has been planned but best guess would be second week in Aug.

We have at least one motherboard review planned for sometime later this month early Aug. I won't go into to much detail at this time but the product will be following the "High Quality & Difficult to Obtain" theme that we try to stick with.

A couple of new case modding "How-To" articles are in the works focusing on some of the more "custom" of mods. Also to complete the "How-To's" full circle a very basic what you need and how to get started "How-To" is also planned.

If you have any suggestions of comments feel free to post them in the Ninjalane Message Forum or email me at redmax@ninjalane.com

• Soyo DRAGON Ultra - Platinum Edition Review @ HardwareZone

Published: Monday, July 22, 2002 | By: Dennis

Here is another view into the Dragon Ultra from Soyo. The HardwareZone guys complained of poor overclocking ability when unable to hit 166MHz FSB.

• P4 533MHz Chipset Roundup @ x-bit-labs

Published: Friday, July 19, 2002 | By: Dennis

All you wanted to know about 533MHz FSB Pentium 4 chipsets but where afraid to ask. Keep in mind though the VIA chipset that is listed in the article isn't in production anymore. It was replaced by the P4X400 not to long ago.

• Nvidia Gets Xbox II Deal

This is quite amazing considering that the two companies have been less than favorable to each other since the release of the original Xbox. I'd guess it had something to do with the decline of nVida's stock price.

Anyhow w00t to nVidia!! cool smilebig grin smile

• Intergrated Chipsets Becoming Popular?!?

I can understand the demand for integrated solutions for corporate and OEM computers but for the computer enthusiast like myself integrated solutions tend to cause problems. Though I will admit Soltek has demonstrated some pretty extreme overclocking with the Intel i845G chipset.

• China Could Strike!!

The way I understand it China has threatened to invade Taiwan for years now and considering they are only 100 miles away shore to shore there isn't much we can do to prevent it from happening.

I say leave Taiwan alone!

• Water Cooled Laptop

Currently they are only selling these units to corporate customers but if the demand is high enough they will start mass producing them.

"The new products are slightly thicker than existing air-cooled Flora models, in order to show the tank at the back of the LCD (liquid crystal display) panel and hence differentiate the water-cooled machine, Akabane said. The tank also be hidden, he said."