Tech News

• Software Priacy and You

Published: Thursday, July 11, 2002 | By: Dennis

Hey got a copy of Windows2000? Not something Microsoft would like for you to say but happens none the less, and if you think about it Microsoft kind of condoned it back in the day.

"If piracy ends with Microsoft, the circle will have been completed, according to Gartenberg.

"The piracy problem has always been widespread, since the earliest days of the personal computer," he noted. "When one of the first programs was available, it was massively copied and handed around, and the young programmer who created it took out trade ads encouraging people to pay."

He added, "That was a little kid named Bill Gates." "

• Cable Company Crackdown

Published: Thursday, July 11, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would seem that cable companies are getting a little upset that subscribers to their internet service are setting up 802.11b networks and sharing the bandwidth with their friends and neighbors.

Kind of ironic how cable Internet providers, providers of shared internet, are getting upset that a single user is sharing their connection with others.

• VIA P4PB Motherboard Review @ Legion Hardware

Published: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 | By: Dennis

You know you have a VIA freebee when the review comes out the same day as the preview. VIA pulled a fast one on us completely skipping the DDR333 chipset for a DDR400/333 flavor. Do check out the benchmarks they are quite amazing.

• VIA Announces P4PB 400 Mainboard

This is quite an amazing chipset supporting AGP 8x, DDR400 and DDR333, Firewire, LAN, ATA133 and both Pentium 4 FSB flavors. I'm going to guess its illegal too. tongue smile

What do you suppose will happen if the JEDEC decides that DDR400 is stupid and pushes for DDRII instead??

• Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum Review @ VIAHardware

I wrote to Soyo trying to get a review sample of this board shortly after it was announced but never got a reply. I guess Soyo didn't think I was special enough. Well the board is pretty cool sporting the silver PCB.

• ZZZ online Issue #136

I don't post much from ZZZ online but its still a fun read. Go check it out.

• Chipset Designers not Feeling the Love

Well the word in Taiwan according to DigiTimes is that motherboard mfgs have started building more boards but the chipset demand hasn't translated into any more work for the chipset designers.

Basically the tech market still sux angry smile

• ATI Radeon 9700 - nVidia Killer??

Published: Tuesday, July 9, 2002 | By: Dennis

The Inquirer is claiming that the new Radeon 9700 is going to be clocked at 315MHz and is showing 3DMark scores in the 15,000's. Thats uhh, pretty fast. big grin smile

• Itanium 2 Shipments in India

Published: Tuesday, July 9, 2002 | By: Dennis

The new Itanium 2 has been a hot item lately esp. since AMD's 64-bit solution the "Hammer" is almost ready for the production spotlight was well.

Being that today is kind of slow on the news front be sure to check out the Ninjalane World News section. cool smile

• More Webmaster Whining

Published: Monday, July 8, 2002 | By: Dennis

I posted this once before but it would appear that Kyle dug deep and found out why Matrox opted not to send him a sample for review.

"Matrox stated that due to the nature of our testing that they were not "comfortable" with sending us a Parhelia card. They seemed to think that we would be a bit too rough on the Parhelia and possibly show some issues that the "enthusiast" might identify as weaknesses."

Sounds to me that Matrox knew exactly what they where doing. Apply the bandage to your knee and move on.

This is entirely too much fun big grin smile