Tech News

• Soltek SL-75DRV5 Review Posted

Published: Wednesday, April 3, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is the latest VIA offering to the Athlon line of processors that enables DDR333 memory support. The board layout is based on the previous motherboard version, the SL-75DRV4 and all of the original 75DRV features including the cool purple PCB.

• DDR Comes to the nVidia MX

According to DigiTimes nVidia will be adding DDR support to the GF4MX line of video chips, this is some pretty good news for people on a budget. We can only hope they will include a full DDR memory bus similar to the GeForce2 and GeForce3 Ti chips.

• Supa Small Motherboard from VIA

Awww isn't it cute. tongue smile Actually for the OEM and Internet appliance market this little guy fits right in. I especially like how you are given one PCI expansion slot. I would have rallied for a PCMCIA or Card Bus slot myself.

• Laugh all the way to the Bank

Published: Tuesday, April 2, 2002 | By: Dennis

This was sent in by our Network and Security guy Breakdown and as usual he is pretty pissed off when companies decide that they have a right to use YOUR stuff as part of downloading THEIR stuff for FREE. angry smile
    According to this News.com story, since February every download of the Kazaa file-swapping client has included some dormant components. When activated, these components can make every machine with the Kazaa client (and there are tens of millions of them) a node in a distributed computing network.

" The company plans to wake up the millions of computers that have installed its software in as soon as four weeks. It plans to use the machines--with their owners' permission--to host and distribute other companies' content, such as advertising or music. Alternatively, it might borrow people's unused processing power to help with other companies' complicated computing tasks."

• Pentium 4 2.4GHz Released

Published: Tuesday, April 2, 2002 | By: Dennis

Anandtech has a 10-page review on the new processor from Intel, and since today is release day just about everybody else has a review up too. That is except for me, I still have to buy my processors and at 600 bones a pop a review just isn't in the budget. cool smile

• Th3 ph00l5 0f 4pr1|

Published: Monday, April 1, 2002 | By: Dennis

7h1n95 +h47 /\/\4k3 j00 90 |-|ummm.
    http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html
    74|<3 k4|23 & b3 54ph3.

• JEDEC Approves QDRII Runnning @ 333 MHz

Published: Monday, April 1, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is some pretty good news for the P4 and other memory hungry processor platforms.

• Soltek SL-85DR-C Review Posted

Published: Sunday, March 31, 2002 | By: Dennis

When it comes to to DDR enabled chipsets for the P4 you have 3 choices, Intel, SiS, and VIA. Out of the 3 the Intel i845 doesn't look to be that impressive given its SDRAM roots but when it comes to DDR performance we have just the opposite.

• Wireless Security and Information

Published: Saturday, March 30, 2002 | By: Dennis

We are still working on our wireless guide about wireless security and haxX0ring so in the meantime you can check this one out. happy smile

• Case Cooling Guide @ Tweakers

Published: Saturday, March 30, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is great and all but they talk about putting tissue and magnets down to catch metal filings is not the proper way to mod your case esp when the components are still installed.
    "If you're feeling confident, you can remove everything from your case."
    For more funny check out the article.