Tech News

• Tyan Tiger K7

Published: Thursday, July 26, 2001 | By: Dennis

I caught this tasty tidbit at 2cpu.com today. The Tyan Tiger K7, pretty much the little brother to the Thunder K7 targeted to the consumer.

No frills, no gimmicks, and no overclocking.

• Ever See an Itanium??

Published: Thursday, July 26, 2001 | By: Dennis

tbreak has photos of an Itanium server and even go as far as to show use the bios level settings. From the looks of things the motherboard layout is hardly "typical", processors are on bottom with expansion slots up top. Also check out how many fans are in this case, I count 8.

You to can get on the Itanium bandwagon though at 3000+ grand for the processor it is hardly a budget purchase.

• Detonator 14.20 Drivers for Win2k

Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 | By: Dennis

With the many problems and issues I had with the official and unofficial Detonator 12 drivers both on my Hercules Prophet III and Gainward MX TwinView, I was skeptical about their stability.

I did install the drivers and found that my skepticism was for nothing. It seems the Detonator 14 drivers are quite stable in Windows 2000. There is still no option for a monitor refresh above 75hz and a few other quirks but at least I don't get random BSOD's and lockups during Q3 and CS.

You can find the drivers in the download section of the Guru3d website.

• RSA sends out challenge to the world

Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

RSA, those guys that brought you some of your favourite encryption algorithms, in an annoucement today, have sponsored a challenge. Up to $200,000 U.S. to the person or group that can crack it's newest crypto. Grab your calculators ladys and gentlemen, this is gonna be a long night. Just hope it's easier than jn-25!

• Whitehouse.gov now on Linux

Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

After Whitehouse.gov had a near fatal encounter with 'Code Red', someone got smart. Whitehouse.gov is moving to Linux. We here at Ninjalane.com are glad to see that George and Co. have seen fit to explore the right Operating System for the job.

• SSH vulnerabilities

Published: Monday, July 23, 2001 | By: Dennis

Well folks, it appears that someone has found an exploit in SSH. SSH is a secure telnet application for *nx based O/S's. The problem seems limited to version 3.0.0 of SSH though all SSH users are urged to check their SSH version and upgrade if necessary.

You'll notice that Slackware Linux is not expressly listed as one of the problem Linux distro's.
    Catch the whole story here

• ATI Radeon VE Review @ OnePC

The ATI Radeon VE is the low cost alternative to the Radeon and is quite similar to Nvidia's MX lineup of GPU's in a variety of ways. The VE is the crippled version of the Radeon, it is able to run in a "Dual-Head" configuration, has a 64-bit memory bus and has relatively poor 3D performance.

Overall from experience I believe these dual-head cards still need a lot of work. With a major problem being that monitors don't get recognized properly.

• Gigabit Access from your House

Imagine this, an affordable internet connection that is a 1,000 times faster than a cable modem that is not on a shared network. Sounds too good to be true but could become a reality in the near future.

I didn't see anything in the article about upload speeds so I'm going to assume it to be a 56k modem, though time will tell.

• Tualatin 1.2GHz Review @ HardwareZone

Published: Friday, July 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

The HardwareZone has posted a review of the next generation P3 processor, the Tualatin. The specs of this new processor are quite impressive plus the benches show it to be equal to the Athlon at the same speed. The only major drawback is the socket2 format FCPGA2, meaning if you want to upgrade your will need a new Mobo along with the processor.
    Here is the direct link.

• Making DDR better

Published: Thursday, July 19, 2001 | By: Dennis

Lost Circuits has an interesting read up about DDR and what is being done to make it better.