Tech News

• Boise firm thinks wireless

Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 | By: Dennis

Ridge Run, a local Boise company, seeks to make a presence in the Wireless market. This company is wholly funded by Texas Instruments. Can you say Day Trading?

• Open-source steps in to duplicate .Net

DotGNU and Mono under GPL/LGPL to replace .Net?

You make the call!

• Can Microsoft weather its HailStorm?

MSN Messenger outtage portent of .Net difficulties?

With the Messenger service being a major part of the whole .net movement from Microsoft they really can't afford to have problems this late in the game.

• Security firm cracked by PoisonBOx

These guys were owned . . .

They set up a server and told everyone to crack it, and it got cracked, then they got the REAL systems. I'd hate to be their Network Admins today!

• Another Update to Ninjalane

Published: Monday, July 9, 2001 | By: Dennis

Well I have finished updating the old static HTML to fit the new XML format so now everything in Projects and Reviews is XML driven.

As before if you encounter any problems please let me know at the address shown in the lower right of this post.

• Another Copper Cooler Review @ GideonTech

Copper coolers have become quite a rage lately and for good reason. With processors in the 1+ GHz range there is alot of heat to transfer and copper accepts heat better than aluminum.

The only drawbacks are heatsink weight and noise from the high speed fan.

• FAQ Number 3 on Windows XP

Many of us are pretty skeptical about the next release of Windows from Microsoft, Windows Me was a total failure IMO, it takes forever to install and really causes more problems than it is worth. I believe that XP will be the same. Check out the latest on XP at NT Compatible.

• Cable Modem Mods

Published: Thursday, July 5, 2001 | By: Dennis

Talk about getting your "I Must Mod Everything" bug. Here is a full-blown mod of a SurfBoard cable modem. Actually the same make and model that I use.

Not really a needed mod but an interesting one to say the least.

• IBM in suppport of GPL

Published: Thursday, July 5, 2001 | By: Dennis

In recent weeks Microsoft has voiced against the General Public License saying it is "anti-American and destructive to intellectual property". In retaliation IBM has voiced their support of the (GPL) and even pledged to spend a billion to further the development of GNU/Linux. I think this is a major step in the right direction.

Speaking of Linux have you gotten your copy of Slackware 8 yet??

• Happy 4th of July

Published: Tuesday, July 3, 2001 | By: Dennis

For all of ninjalane's readers located here in the US, Happy 4th of July. Play it safe and sane so as to keep all your fingers where they belong.