Tech News

• Motherboard Troubleshooting Guide

Published: Tuesday, February 27, 2001 | By: Dennis

Tech Extreme has an interesting article up on motherboard troubleshooting. Strangely enough this is the first one of these that I've seen. Though he only goes though a few scenarios its a good read to have in your "tech pocketbook".

• The Geforce3, Does it replace the Ultra?

Published: Saturday, February 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

With all of the hype and talk about the GeForce3 some are wondering if it will really be all that. According to this article we will soon have a very powerful and expensive video processor with no games or applications designed for it.

btw this site isn't Netscape 6 compliant.

• No SMP with the P4

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2001 | By: Dennis

Along with a discussion of the IA-64 and its current status Intel announced that the Pentium 4 chip will not be supporting SMP but remain a single-processor device on PCs. Multi-processor systems will be handled by a new chip code-named Foster which is really a next-generation Xeon chip.

So, what this means is that many of us that are currently enjoying SMP in our home systems is that will be paying a bit more when upgrade time comes.

• Amazing KT133A motherboard

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2001 | By: Dennis

IWill's latest is able to hit 162 mhz front side bus with the addition of a simple heatsink...

• Doom Engine Demo and GeForce3

Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 | By: Dennis

Shugashack has an exclusive today. Some interesting things are happening at MacWorld. They no only have a GeForce3 on display but the computer running the card is also running a in-development copy of the new Doom engine.

Carmack has this to say
    The GeForce3 makes it possible for objects in the engine to react the same way that they would in real-life, with realistic lighting, shadows and other effects.

How is that for cool.

• Windows XP Product Activation

Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

Arstechnica has an interesting article up about the Windows XP registration scheme and how Microsoft is trying to curb piracy. For the normal home user I can see how this will work quite well but for hardware people like myself this could cause endless problems.

I would suggest reading the article and decide for yourself if you think Microsoft is being a little extreme.

• Getting to Know RAID - RAID Levels

Published: Monday, February 19, 2001 | By: Dennis

Things have been pretty slow on the news front lately so I decided to find a useful site in my bookmarks and post a link to it.

RAID, what is it? and how can it help me? Two questions that everyone should know.

• Ninjalane Refresh

Published: Saturday, February 17, 2001 | By: Dennis

Well it was time to reorder some things here at Ninjalane. I've added another news section, Removed the forums due to the lack of interest, and changed the quake section to a general gaming section.

I've reserved the upper news section for Ninjalane specific articles, reviews, projects, etc.. This news space will come and go depending on what we have going on. The lower section contains industry news and what other articles I might receive.

A new section on this website is the Gaming page. Each month we will feature a new gaming related article. This month we will feature "How to host a LAN party". Look for it to be posted soon.

• Intel speeds up launch of Brookdale

Published: Thursday, February 15, 2001 | By: Dennis

It looks as though Intel is feeling left out of the DDR market and pushed up their DDR chipset release date to Oct. of this year. Now with this jump it would also appear that SDRAM version of the same chipset is being squashed.

• GeForce3 ... for real?

Published: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 | By: Dennis

Not sure if this is a hoax or not...but regardless this looks mighty interesting. Looks like it might be only overseas, but I find that hard to believe. A quick check of the site that has it for sale doesn't show much difference in the specs from the GeForce2 Ultra. Check it out and post what you've heard in the forums.