After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • cooling
  • Thermalright AXP-140 Heatsink Review
  • Thermalright AXP-140 Heatsink Review

Author:
    Published:

Introduction

When it comes to heatpipe enabled coolers you have 2 basic styles to choose from.  The classical tower cooler which has been a stable in the industry for quite some time now and is best suited for tower chassis designs that have plenty of room above the processor.  The low profile design is exactly that, a low profile version of the classical tower that is best suited for HTPC and other limited space chassis designs.  

In this review we will be looking at the Thermalright AXP-140 low profile heatsink and new 1366 mounting system.  As you may have guessed the AXP-140 was originally designed for the 775 socket system but with a quick hardware change you can apply this heatsink to the Core i7. 

Of course the question now, how well does this heatsink work on the Core i7 platform?
    Thermalright has been a leader in heatpipe technology for many years now and was actually one of the first companies to offer heatpipe CPU coolers on desktop systems while everyone else was refining standard heatsinks from solid pieces of copper or aluminum.  These heatsinks were not wildly popular in the early days but as overclocking grew and processors got faster the need for a more efficient cooling solution was apparent.  Lucky for us Thermalright already had solutions on the market. 

A similar analogy can be applied to the AXP-140.  This high capacity cooler was designed for the 775 and A64 platforms and could easily be migrated over to the Core i7 with a simple change of mounting hardware. 
    The Cooler
    The AXP-140 is a very large heatsink measuring 140mm square and will accommodate both 120 and 140mm fans.  The heatsink is powered by 6 nickel plated heatpipes that snake around to access different parts of the radiator.
    Looking from the top the inner most heatpipes are also the shortest cooling segments and only extend halfway thru the cooling radiator.  The outer most pipes extend the entire length of the radiator and are best exposed to the cooling fan.