After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • gaming
  • Antec SX635 Case Review - A Case Modders Perspective
  • Antec SX635 Case Review - A Case Modders Perspective

Author:
    Published:

Internals - Specs

SX635 Specs
    For the sake of argument I will be referring to this case as an Antec product since it did come with the extra Antec fan and a Enermax (Antec) 350watt powersupply.

The SX635 is considered a mini tower but has mid tower features. There are a total of 8 drive bays, 3x 5.25" (external) 2x 3.5" (external) 3x 3.5" (internal), a total of 3 80mm fans can be added without modification. Antec includes one in the back the other two can be added to the front. The case will fit ATX motherboards up to 12"W x 13"L with a recommended max size of 12"W x 9.6"L. Boards over 9.6" in length will start to interfere with your 5.25 drives. Since most modern ATX motherboards are 12" x 9.6" there shouldn't be a problem.
    As with all other Antec cases the SX635 is very well built. Edges are rolled over to limit EMF from passing. Joints and rivet connections are solid and well planned. The best part of all, the 1mm SECC material used throughout.

Here is a close up photo of the corner joint near the top front of the case. You can plainly see the rolled over edges that are designed keep EMF from entering or escaping along with making the case easier to handle. (i.e. sharp edges) The top cover panel is also nicely rounded over giving the corners a very refined and professional look.
    Here is another photo showing the overlapping edges where joints occur. Another purpose of this photo is to show a strange connection that I discovered. I am guessing this connection is a provision for a more secure locking mechanism, of course not included.