After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • memory
  • Corsair Twin2X DDR2 5400C4 ProSeries Review
  • Corsair Twin2X DDR2 5400C4 ProSeries Review

Author:
    Published:

Benchmarks

The system as it was tested
    DFI LanParty UT 915P
    Pentium 4 530 (3.0Ghz) 1MB L2 cache 800MHz FSB
    OEM Heatsink
    2x Corsair Twin2X 5400C4PRO DDR675 (4-4-4-12) 512megs
    Chaintech PCX5900
    IBM Hitachi Deskstar 80gig SerialATA 7200RPM
    Antec NeoPower 480 power supply
    12x/40x DVD/CDRom
    Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1
    SiSoft Sandra
    Sandra is a software collection of synthetic benchmarks that will give us a basic idea as to what a system is capable of. It should be noted that SiSoft numbers change depending on what version you have installed, these were recorded using Sandra Professional Version 2004.8.9.131
    Cachemem
    Cachemem is a synthetic benchmark used to test bandwidth and latency.
    FarCry
    For this benchmark the training level demo was used and the built in benchmarking utility recorded the in-game framerate. If you would like to try this benchmark out for yourself add the following arguments to your FarCry shortcut.

-DEVMODE "#demo_num_runs=1" "#demo_quit=1" "#r_Width=800" "#r_Height=600" "map training" "demo training"
    #demo_num_runs= - how many times you want the benchmark to run, this is 0 based
    #demo_quit= - 1 will quit the game after the run, 0 will return to the main menu
    #r_Width and Height= - I think you can figure this one out
    Map mapname - tells to load a map called "mapname"
    Demo demoname - run the demo called "demoname"
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    For this benchmark we used a multi-player demo called Primeval. If you wish to try the demo out for yourself you will need to download the demo files from the following website or ask me and I'll send you a copy. The timedemo is similar to the one used in Quake III in that once the demo is over you pull down the console to see the average FPS.
    Benchmarking Conclusion
    The numbers tell a very strange story; from a synthetic standpoint lower memory timings and higher clock speeds increase performance. This much is relatively easy to understand though in the real world benchmarks the major gains follow clock speed with only minor gains due to memory timings.