After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • motherboards
  • Soltek SL-915GPro-FGR Motherboard Review
  • Soltek SL-915GPro-FGR Motherboard Review

Author:
    Published:

Conclusion

On the surface the Soltek SL-915GPro-FGR appears to be another great upgrade product designed to appeal to those wanting to get the most bang for our buck. The most noticeable feature found on this motherboard is the 4 banks of DDR1 memory. While the additional memory slots will allow you to use up to 4GB of system memory I suspect most will opt to fill these banks with 4 smaller modules instead of spending money on several large ones.
    For many having onboard video is a great way to save money since you can put off on buying that 6600GT for a few months. However depending on how you use the system this might not be the answer you are looking for. For instance judging by the gaming benchmarks the onboard controller still has a long way to go before it can be considered a viable gaming alternative. That's not to say you can't game with it, just expect a slower system with borderline framerates.
    We had very good results during our overclocking tests, so good in fact the SAT "Smart Acceleration Technology" was left enabled during the entire benchmarking process. Currently SAT comes with 4 levels of automagic overclocking with the maximum level giving you around a 225Mhz increase in cpu speed whenever the system demanded it. Manual overclocking was also quite successful having attained a stable overclock of 252Mhz FSB or 3.7Ghz. From a performance and overclocking standpoint you can't really go wrong with Soltek SL-915GPro-FGR it pretty much does it for you.
    Now for the ever popular list of Good things and Bad things. happy smile
    The Good Things
    Auto Overclocking with SAT (Smart Acceleration Technology)
    Easy Overclocking
    4x DDR1 Memory Slots
    Onboard PCI Express Video
    Onboard GigaLan
    Firewire support
    The Bad Things
    No active cooling on Northbridge
    No SATA Raid Support
    Onboard graphics somewhat slow
    Extra system activity when using onboard graphics
    Ninjalane Rating
    I would like to thank Soltek for helping to make this review possible.