Tech News

• Dell selling Apple's iPods

Published: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 | By: Dennis

I don't know what to think about this. Dell computer is selling Apple iPods, granted they are the Windows version but still, iPods?. big grin smile

"Yep, Dell is reselling iPods," Apple said in a statement provided to CNET News.com. "We are delighted to offer our 5GB, 10GB and 20GB iPods for Windows through Dell's direct retail channel. iPod has been a big success to date, and we would like to make it even bigger"

You can thank Talon for the news post.

• Next Gen ATA Drives - Not Quite Serial

As I alluded to in the title this is still a parallel ATA hard drive with a few enhancements to tide us over until SATA is released.

"Some of you may say "But SATA increases bandwidth to 150MB/s." True, but the only way you're going to see improvements is through the burst speed of your drives and a 17MB/s advantage over the latest PATA standard, which isn't that much. When the densities of drives start getting higher and maybe a 10k spindle speed increase, we will start seeing drives flex their SATA muscle. "

• 3-D Chip Bonding Technology

This could be the way of the future in chip design.

"The approach can join logic devices with memory, or logic with analog components, the company said. It could also be used to mount RF filters onto other RF components, or bond silicon or silicon germanium devices with chips made in III-V materials, the company said. "

• Asus Dual Channel DDR Board Photos

Published: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 | By: Dennis

I was quite surprised to find that this board was using the SiS DCDDR chipset instead of the Intel; I must be slipping since I never knew. sad smile Anyhow I will let the pictures speak for themselves, oh and as a little side activity try to count the extras, hint: there is a lot.

• KT400 vs. nForce2 Write-up @ x-bit labs

As usual these write-ups are very informative and covers just about everything you wanted to know about the two chipsets. Be sure to top off your beverage before clicking, you'll be there awhile. tongue smile

• EPoX EP-4SDA5+ Review @ Envy News

This is a SiS648 based motherboard and despite being first to market with the net technology I don't think the chipset ever caught that much traction.

"On the side of overclocking I was able to get my 2.4G up to 2.7G much like I did with the 4G4A+, on the other side with stability both the 2700 and 3200 DDR options ran, but by sacrificing either overclocking or onboard options."

Sounds similar to our SiS experience.

• XFX Graphics Geforce 4 Ti4200 Review @ Techware Labs

This review is pretty short but covers all of the basics so I really don't mind. Besides the XFX Graphics card would look perfect on a Soltek SL-75FRV. big grin smile

• 3GHz Pentium 4 Processors Shipped to Major PC Makers

Published: Monday, October 28, 2002 | By: Dennis

Seeing that the launch of the Hyperthreaded Pentium 4 is drawing near something like this is not uncommon.

"While Intel declined to specify the chip's launch date or price, sources said the 3GHz Pentium 4 will debut Nov. 14, just two days prior to the kickoff of Fall Comdex in Las Vegas"

The best part is that we will be there. cool smile

• Asia Carrera Q & A @ Unreal Playground

I bet if Asia ever decided to get out of the pr0n business she could make quite a living as a spokesperson for the Unreal gaming community. big grin smile Though I'd imagine she could fit into just about any gaming community for that matter. wink smile

• Website "Down-Time" So to Speak

Some of you may have noticed the "Directory Listing Denied" error this morning. Sorry about that I had my webhost make some changes to the server, and they messed up. angry smile

On a happy note the time for change is near, so keep a eye on this page. big grin smile