Tech News

• Dual-channel DDR

Published: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 | By: Dennis

DDR seems to be the answer to the Rambus problem and until DDR-II becomes around the next logical solution is dual channel DDR, basically DDR333x2

"The dual-channel DDR-333 systems will offer 5.3 Gbytes/s."

"Currently, Nvidia Corp. is the only company to offer a dual-channel DDR chip set for mainstream PCs, which was released last summer. The company has not claimed much in the way of market share, partly because the set is based on CPUs from Advanced Micro Devices Inc. "
    Ouch sad smile

• 3Ware 4 Serial ATA/150 RAID Controller Review @ GamePC

This is a 4-channel Serial ATA controller meaning it supports up to 4 Serial ATA drives, one on each channel. The controller will also perform RAID operations in 0, 1, 1+0, and 5 making it similar to the Standard ATA RAID controller from Adaptec. I'm not sure you will need RAID 5 on the desktop seeing that RAID 10 is faster but it does offer more HDD space.

• Zalman ST300BLP Power Supply Mod

The last time I modded a power supply I started getting random power outages to the molex connectors so tread lightly when you mod electronics.

• Triplex Millennium Silver GeForce 4 Ti4600 Review @ RadiativeNZ

Published: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 | By: Dennis

This card has been out for quite some time now and is finally starting to filter around the world. If you remember the Triplex card card comes in its own metal briefcase with a nice plexi window in the side for video card viewage.

• Online Time For The Xbox

Nov. 15th is the planned launch date of "Xbox Live" and for 50bux you too can have your Xbox online not including broadband costs.

"Microsoft will sell a $50 Xbox Live starter kit that includes a headset microphone, a one-year subscription to the service, and software that allows the Xbox to tap into an existing broadband Internet connection. "

• Other Programs Have Holes Too

"Konqueror (kssl to be precisely) fails to detect certificates as invalid that have been signed by an issuer who is not allowed to do so. A patch for this problem has been commited to both the CVS HEAD branch and the KDE_3_0_BRANCH."

Looks like another afternoon spent compiling KDE is on the horizon.

• Some Companies Hate GNU

Breakdown described this article as "Compelling", and I would tend to agree. The piece is written by an MCSE who wanted to get back into the bloody knuckles of being a network admin. Armed with OpenSource software he took on a British company's network policy and won, until he was fired for not conforming.

Moral of the story? Free software may someday save your life until it gets you fired.

• Gecko Included in AOL for Mac

Published: Monday, August 12, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would appear that AOL has finally come around and finally intergrated a Gecko based browser into the next AOL software release for the Mac.

"They have tarted it up and made it look like a MAC application. It finally does have HTML mail so you can read mail that has pictures and colors,"

Tarted??

• microATX Alu Cube

If anyone can actually translate this page I would love to know what it says and more importantly where I can get one. big grin smile

• Mac Stoner Chix

w00t for Apple! They finally figured it out who their audience is. tongue smile Ellen Feiss, a student and stoner, was called on by Apple to recall her encounter with the "not Macintosh" Windows PC. According to the Apple ad the Windows PC devoured her school paper and later goes on to say that it was "Kind of a Bummer".

Next to the tie-dyed iMac this has got to be the funniest thing that apple has ever done.