Tech News

• R300 Renamed and Launched Early

Published: Friday, August 9, 2002 | By: Dennis

The Radeon 9700 is now reffered to as the Radeon 9700 PRO and is expected to hit the shelves by August 19th.

• i845 Alphabet Soup

3 new Intel P4 chipsets will be available to motherboard makers around mid-August. 845GE, 845PE and 845GV will added to the growing list of i845 variations making it an alphabet soup of P4 chipset solutions to choose from.

Might this add to consumer confusion as to what to buy?? I think yes.

• VIA Raises Prices on P4 Chipsets

Normally this sort of thing just doesn't happen but VIA is raising the price of their P4X2xxx line of chipsets from wherever it was as to a whopping... 15 bux shock smile OMG! call the President. big grin smile

"VIA Technologies has decided to raise the prices of its P4X266, P4X266E and P4M266 chipsets by nearly 10% on August 10, surprisingly defying the prevailing price-cut trend in the current market."

• Soltek SL-85ERV Motherboard Review Posted

The Soltek SL-85ERV is a very amazing motherboard based around one of the most intriguing chipsets on the market, the P4X400. This board has all of the latest things including AGP 8x, ATA133, DDR333 with unofficial DDR400 support, Soltek's signature RedStorm tech to name a few.

• Websurveys are....

Published: Thursday, August 8, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would appear that my current websurvey question of "Website surveys are..." falls into the category of "Depends on the topic" class though I would assume a greater number of websurfers feel it to be a "Waste of my time".

If you have feelings either way click a radio button and submit your vote. Depending on the outcome I might just remove the damn thing. happy smile

• Detecting a "CyberAttack"

The whole article is funny but I get a real kick out of this paragraph.

""Knowing the average cyber-ankle-biter, people known to stay up at odd hours, it's not at all unreasonable to entertain the idea that the NIPC alert might have precipitated some nincompoops who had nothing better to do with their time except create a statistical blip in someone's Internet monitoring service," Smith said. "

Smith being George Smith, editor of vMyths a virus and computer security information site.

• Transatlantic Flight of a Model Airplane

This is actually a very old story but being that interesting tech news is hard to find it will have to do.

I'm just glad I decided not to become an engineer the retirement would be murder

• Soltek SL-85MIR-L Review @ Tweakers Australia

If you have been following the Soltek press released at all you will remember that this is the board that Soltek overclocked to 200MHz FSB.

The Tweakers crew seemed to be preoccupied with the shinny new mouse pad and lack of Vcore adjustments to take notice. big grin smile

For those that don't know Soltek released a BIOS for the 85MIR-L that would allow the user to lock the AGP, and PCI clocks while still allowing adjustments to the FSB and memory. In doing so their engineers where able to overclock the system to 200MHz using an unlocked 1.7GHz P4.

• Soltek SL-85ERV Review @ Hardware-test.dk

Published: Tuesday, August 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

We actually have one of these boards on the test bench and I must say I'm quite impressed with the VIA P4X400 chipset. It's an amazing overclocker at least with the 533MHz processors. Look for the review to be posted later this week, in the meantime checkout what the UK guys have to say.

• Battle of the GeForce4 Ti4400's @ PC Hardware

Published: Tuesday, August 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

Its a battle of good vs. good the Abit Siluro GF4Ti and MSI G4Ti4400-VTD go head to head at PC Hardware.

Lots of good info, be sure to check out the reviews.