Tech News

• Geil vs. Samsung DDR-400 Review @ TweakTown

Published: Monday, August 5, 2002 | By: Dennis

"Recently we took a look at our first DDR-400 memory module, Kingmax's DDR-400 DDR SDRAM module - We now take a look at two other memory modules that have arrived in our labs and have tested them against a well known competitor, Corsair XMS3000. "

Keep in mind DDR-400 isn't a JEDEC standard yet.

• phj34r my lack of news

Published: Saturday, August 3, 2002 | By: Dennis

Sorry for the lack of news postings but since the 1st I've been quite busy. The most distracting of them was birthday stuff on the 1st of this month.

Stay tuned, there should be a new motherboard review by the middle of next week and it should be a dozy. big grin smile

I would also like to thank the new members of the Ninjalane Message Forum for joining, may the posts be with you cool smile

• SiS’s RDRAM-based R658 chipset

Published: Saturday, August 3, 2002 | By: Dennis

Digitimes is reporting that SiS's new RDRAM enabled chipset will be available sometime in the 3rd quarter. In case some of you don't know this new chipset comes in a single and dual memory channel configuration and is rumored to put even the i850 to shame.

• Defcon 2002

Published: Thursday, August 1, 2002 | By: Dennis

Sound the alarm! HaxX0rs have invaded Vegas! I'd suggest that if you are in the area (which I know that some are) pony up the bux and check it out, you might learn something.

• Corsair Announces XMS3200 DDR @ CAS2

Published: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 | By: Dennis

Yes this is CAS2 DDR400 people! big grin smile

Specs are listed below:
    * Memory bus speed: 2x200 MHz
    * CAS latency: 2.0 clock cycles
    * RAS precharge: 3 cycles
    * RAS-to-CAS delay: 3 cycles
    * RAS active to precharge: 6 cycles
    * Command rate: 1T (1 cycle)
    * Population: 1 module/system

• 333MHz FSB Athlon info @ The Tech Report

We would like to think that AMD is at least thinking about what options they have with the Athlon XP until the Hammer is released but what are they??

" AMD, meanwhile, is betting that its upcoming Hammer chips will turn things around. But, stray rumors aside, all indications are that the first Hammer won't be ready until December of this year at the earliest. What's AMD to do in the meantime? One answer is Barton, the planned next revision of the Athlon with 512KB of L2 cache. Another possibility, however—and one that's been getting more and more attention recently—is the possibility of a 333MHz bus for the Athlon XP. "

I'll cross my fingers too, tongue smile

• Dual Channel Rambus by SiS

This came to me as a big surprise but it seems to be the next logical step for Rambus system performance.

"The world's first chipset to support dual RDRAM 1066 MHz memory, enabling exceptional performance in workstation and high-end user markets"

No numbers yet considering this is just a press release. big grin smile

• The HaxX0ring of an Al-Qaida Website

This is actually a very crafty idea. A webmaster hijacked an expiring URL used by the terrorist group and promptly put up a dummy website but didn't know enough Arabic to keep the stories fresh but figured the FBI would and gave them access to the site.

""It was like dealing with the motor vehicle administration,""

• Windows PE (XP Preinstallation Environment)

Setting up an OS can be a really long and involved process but with the help of a WinPE disk the installation of WindowsXP can be streamlined somewhat.

"As Microsoft states: "Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) is a minimal Win32 subsystem with limited services, based on the Windows XP Professional kernel running in protected mode. It contains the minimal functionality you need to run Windows Setup, pull an operating system from a network share, automate basic processes, and perform hardware validation.""

Of course it wouldn't be a Microsoft product without some limitations.

• DDR400 3-Way Roundup @ Anandtech

Published: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 | By: Dennis

This roundup is a pretty good read for those of you curious about the current support for DDR400 and AGP8x, which Anandtech is referring to as "marketing buzzwords".