Tech News

• Pentium 4 Celerons

Published: Monday, May 13, 2002 | By: Dennis

This could be an overclockers dream. Though if anything the cheaper processor will mean higher sales for Intel. Here are some quick specs on the processor, 400MHz FSB 128k Level-2 Cache running at 1.7 and 1.8GHz. This will most likely be a Willamette core.
    Also proof that ZDnet only reads their news.
    "Although the two companies' chips are often close in terms of performance, Intel's run at faster speeds when measured in megahertz. The new 1.8GHz Celeron is faster than AMD's top Athlon chip, the Athlon XP 2100+, which runs at 1.73GHz."

• Eidos a Takeover Target?

It would seem that poor sales have made the company a target of a possible takeover by Ubi Soft. sad smile

• Old Computers Never Die

Raise your hand if you have at least one dusty old computer stored away in your house or garage. approve smile I think the numbers might surprise you.
    On a side note I can still remember typing away on the old Tandy back in day and even doing 1200 baud file transfers with Breakdown just so we could play a game against each other.

• HP Trade Secret Theft

HP is charging 3 businessmen with trade secret theft for disabling the password protection of an HP program. Their defense had this to say.
    "since the men legally possessed the software they had the right to modify it."
    I think they might be up a creek without a paddle.

• HP/COMPAQ Product Roadmap

Basically the HP PC's will be phased out and/or moved under the Compaq name. The Jornada handheld will be phased out in favor of the "HP" iPaq handheld. The Unix OS battle is a no brainier.
    "Compaq's Tru64 Unix operating system will be eliminated in favor of HP's HP-UX, which will incorporate some Tru64 features. HP-UX's larger installed base and broader ISV (independent software vendor) network led to the decision, HP said. "
    Unfortunately 15,000 employees will still lose their jobs or will transfer to other divisions.

• Cable Modem Hacking Goes Mainstream

Published: Friday, May 10, 2002 | By: Dennis

I will not take kindly if anybody does this on my node, though according to the article it doesn't take long before the head office finds you.

• NV30 Rumors from Nvidia?

Published: Friday, May 10, 2002 | By: Dennis

Memory running at 900MHz (maybe DDR II) and claiming 200 million polys per second, now that is fast. I'm thinking we will need some larger monitors. Towards the end of the post they speak of ATI's R300 and had this to say.
    "it's going to destroy everything else that's coming out."
    Granted no numbers yet though here is to hoping.

• 533MHz Pentium 4 Review @ hardCOREware

Published: Thursday, May 9, 2002 | By: Dennis

More Intel 533MHz Pentium 4 lovin'. Not much in the way of Pentium 4 tech but they do have a few benches to look over.

• SkyHawk ATX-4396 Aluminum Case Review @ Tweakers Australia

Here is another one of those "hybrid" aluminum cases but the construction and cooling design isn't that bad. They even include a "blower" similar to what is found in the Antec Gemstone Cases.

• [i]Star Wars: Episode II ? Attack of the Clones[/i] Building Hype

Personally I'm prolly not going to wait in line to see this movie on opening day like I did for Episode 1 but you never know, it is still a few days off. The reason I even mention it was for the quote factor. "John Challenger, chief executive of the firm Challenger, Gray and Christmas, says that could mean more than $319 million in lost wages for businesses. He says technology firms will take a larger hit than other companies because of the high number of geeks on their payrolls." tongue smile