Tech News

• Maxtor Announces new ATA Interface

Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 | By: Dennis

Maxtor once again is on top of things and advancing hard drive technology to the next level, this time by announcing their development of the ATA133 standard. Also in the announcement was word that VIA, SIS, Promise, and SIMG have all licensed this technology for use in upcoming products. You can see the entire Press Release here.

• DES down, AES up, encryption gets certified

Published: Monday, July 30, 2001 | By: Dennis

It seems the folks over at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have finally made a choice for replacing DES. Rijndael or "rain doll" is its name. The article talks about being unbreakable, but for the long broken DES and by extension Triple-DES, it is a big step forward. Remember the only unbreakable cypher is the One-Time Pad

• Dual Monitor Desktops Explained

Published: Sunday, July 29, 2001 | By: Dennis

Looking to do something new? Wow your friends? Or have you just ran out of destop space? What better way to solve all of these problems than to add another monitor to your desktop? The question is what do you need to make it happen, read on to find out.

• Colored Memory PCB

Published: Sunday, July 29, 2001 | By: Dennis

The iMac effect is spreading! Actually not but it sounded good. Akiba has posted a little something about colored memory PCB's in flavors of Red, Blue, and Black. The specs are not that bad either, 256MB CAS2 PC133.

• New sections at Ninjalane

Published: Saturday, July 28, 2001 | By: Dennis

A small reorder has taken place here at Ninjalane. The gaming section has been removed for now, we are still working on some gaming related articles. It is just a matter of finding time to write them. In place of the gaming section I added an Articles section and put up a How-To on rounded ATA100 cables. There will be another article posted soon on Dual Monitor Desktops.
    The Forums are once again up and running. I ended up resetting the messages in the database since the content was over a year old. Feel free to go forth and post your comments.

• Tyan Tiger K7

Published: Thursday, July 26, 2001 | By: Dennis

I caught this tasty tidbit at 2cpu.com today. The Tyan Tiger K7, pretty much the little brother to the Thunder K7 targeted to the consumer.

No frills, no gimmicks, and no overclocking.

• Ever See an Itanium??

Published: Thursday, July 26, 2001 | By: Dennis

tbreak has photos of an Itanium server and even go as far as to show use the bios level settings. From the looks of things the motherboard layout is hardly "typical", processors are on bottom with expansion slots up top. Also check out how many fans are in this case, I count 8.

You to can get on the Itanium bandwagon though at 3000+ grand for the processor it is hardly a budget purchase.

• Detonator 14.20 Drivers for Win2k

Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 | By: Dennis

With the many problems and issues I had with the official and unofficial Detonator 12 drivers both on my Hercules Prophet III and Gainward MX TwinView, I was skeptical about their stability.

I did install the drivers and found that my skepticism was for nothing. It seems the Detonator 14 drivers are quite stable in Windows 2000. There is still no option for a monitor refresh above 75hz and a few other quirks but at least I don't get random BSOD's and lockups during Q3 and CS.

You can find the drivers in the download section of the Guru3d website.

• RSA sends out challenge to the world

Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

RSA, those guys that brought you some of your favourite encryption algorithms, in an annoucement today, have sponsored a challenge. Up to $200,000 U.S. to the person or group that can crack it's newest crypto. Grab your calculators ladys and gentlemen, this is gonna be a long night. Just hope it's easier than jn-25!

• Whitehouse.gov now on Linux

Published: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

After Whitehouse.gov had a near fatal encounter with 'Code Red', someone got smart. Whitehouse.gov is moving to Linux. We here at Ninjalane.com are glad to see that George and Co. have seen fit to explore the right Operating System for the job.