After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • cooling
  • CoolJag JVC682A K8 Heatsink Review
  • CoolJag JVC682A K8 Heatsink Review

Author:
    Published:

Conclusion

I mentioned before how the JVC682A heatsink from CoolJag wasn't designed to be a super high-performance item and the design and benchmarks have proved this to be true. This is not necessarily a bad thing does mean that overclockers will want to change a few things to attain the best performance. Some things are easy to fix while others are inherent to the design.
    I have been a huge fan of hybrid heatsinks for quite a number of years and have discovered that copper usage is very important in making the heatsink work properly. As we know copper is great for moving heat from one place to another but the cooling interface needs to be designed to complement the usage. Typically flat copper plates are not a high-performance solution.
    Design considerations aside cooling performance was better than the retail solution in both temperature and fan RPM meaning that proper cooling and fan noise will not be an issue.
    Now for the ever popular list of Good things and Bad things.
    The Good Things
    Skived fin heatsink design
    Powerful thermally controlled fan
    Copper base
    Commonly used attachment mechanism
    The Bad Things
    Minimal performance increase over retail heatsink
    Heatsink clip was rather difficult to install and remove.
    Ninjalane Rating
    I would like to thank CoolJag for helping to make this review possible.