After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • motherboards
  • Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H Motherboard Review
  • Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H Motherboard Review

Author:
    Published:

Board Layout and Features Cont.

There are a number of onboard connectors for everything from a Serial COM port to additional IEEE 1394 and USB3.  In fact the only thing missing are extra fan headers.  The GA-880GMA-UD2H only comes with 2 fan headers, while these are both PWM controlled we would have expected more considering the cooling demands typical to most MicroATX cases.
    SATA 6GB is natively supported by the AMD SB850 South Bridge.  A total of 6 SATA devices are supported, 5 connections internal and a single eSATA on the I/O panel.  Legacy IDE is made possible by a JMicron JMB368 controller and the single floppy connection comes as part of the iTE IT8720 controller.
    The I/O panel is rather typical for a graphics enabled motherboard.  You will find a total of 6 USB ports 2 of which are USB 3 compliant, DVI, D-SUB, and HDMI video connections, Digital and Analog audio ports, a single Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 1394 Firewire and a single eSATA.
    Included Goodies
    Do not be surprised by the lack of included cables and accessories.  The purpose of this motherboard is to be inexpensive and effective.  To help get you up and running you will find 2x SATA cables and a single IDE cable.  A basic back plate helps to tidy up the installation.
    Gigabyte has been extremely good with their included documentation and software support.  The user manual written entirely in English and spans over 100 pages of helpful information from board layout to BIOS configuration and even how to use some of the included software.