After careful consideration I have decided to transfer all hardware review activities to a new domain.  I purchased Hardwareasylum.com in 2012 and have been working hard to build a new and improved Ninjalane on that domain.  If you are reading this you have reached one of the archived articles, news, projects and/or reviews that were left behind during the site migration. 

Please update your bookmarks and be sure to visit the new and improved Ninjalane at Hardwareasylum.com

• reviews
  • power supply
  • Thermaltake Litepower 450Watt Power Supply Review
  • Thermaltake Litepower 450Watt Power Supply Review

Author:
    Published:

Product and Features

As the pictures will show the only cable braiding included on the PSU is a little over half of the ATX. 24 pin wire bundle.  None of the other cables have any braiding on them which seems a little strange to do one and not the others.
    I admit I am a bit of a snob when it comes to my PC components but I also believe in keeping things in context. I know this PSU is not aimed at the high level enthusiasts so I focus on the durability and ease of use of the unit, as that should be the top priority for a PSU in this range.

A quick trip to UL listings page informs me that this unit was made by FSP. In case you are unaware FSP is Fortron Source Power, They are well known for making Very durable units and have been a great supplier for Thermaltake as well as many of the other big brands.
    Testing
    As faithful readers will be aware the Ninjalane Labs does not have a Chroma test station or other high tech resistor load array, and we assume you do not either.  Because of this we tend to focus more on user experience and the day to day usage you may experience as a consumer. That said there are most likely sites around the web that have benched this unit on such equipment and we won't feel bad if you seek those sites if you demand that sort of information.  

During my time with the Litepower 450W I used it to power my HTPC that consisted of a DFI LP JR P45 board running 4GB of DDR2 and a QX9650 Quad Core EE. Video was supplied by a single Radeon HD 4850.  The PSU had no issues supplying enough power for this system  and was extremely quiet.  In fact TT rates its noise level at only 16db!!