Tech News

• Kind of Slow in the News Department

Published: Friday, November 15, 2002 | By: Dennis

It would appear that the 3.06GHz Pentium 4 was the pinnacle news story for the entire week!

• Tyan Tiger i7500 Review @ 2CPU

Published: Friday, November 15, 2002 | By: Dennis

It has been quite awhile since I posted anything from 2CPU.com and I kind of feel bad. sad smile Anyhow Hooz has posted his review of the Dual XEON Tyan Tiger i7500. This board supports up to 8Gb of DDR RAM two P4 XEON processors and will fit into a standard ATX case. shock smile" If you weren't already aware, the Tiger i7500 is the first and only E7500 board to be released on a normal ATX sized PCB. This is awfully handy for anyone who has a smaller server or rackmount case already... Hell, I even fit mine into an Antec SX600 series case (a feat I couldn't accomplish with any of the other E7500 boards I've had)"

• Albatron PX845PEV Pro Review @ PCStats

Published: Thursday, November 14, 2002 | By: Dennis

The Albatron board is easily one of those love hate motherboards, I love the features and hate the layout. big grin smile
    "My biggest qualm with the motherboard surrounds the placement of the floppy drive connector. With it located at the very bottom of the motherboard, users with full tower cases like the Inwin Q500 will have big problems getting the drive and motherboard connected."
    I think the reviewer agreed. Despite the layout downfalls the board performs pretty well and if you are like me and don't use a floppy drive anymore I'd say "think about it".

• 3.06GHz Pentium 4 Released Today

Published: Thursday, November 14, 2002 | By: Dennis

As you can guess (based of an earlier news post) the Hyperthreading enabled 3.06GHz Pentium 4 was released today and for the most part everyone that reviewed a processor liked the results.

Maybe one of these days I'll be able to review a new processor. *sigh* tongue smile

• Waterblocks, and More Waterblocks

Published: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 | By: Dennis

ExtremeCooling is living up to their name and has reviewed a series of waterblock designs and tested how well they worked. This is a pretty good read if you are curious about watercooling.

• Hyper-Threading On P4 2.4BGhz

Published: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 | By: Dennis

VR-Zone has a very curious screen shot posted of a HyperThreaded 2.4GHz P4 with the idea that HyperThreading has been enabled all along in the Northwood processor but just disabled in the BIOS.

One of two things happened here,
    1) a very creative screenshot hack.
    2) a very talented BIOS programmer hacked the provided BIOS.

Either way this is just more fuel for the HyperThreaded fire happy smile

• Intel Price Cuts, AMD to Follow

Published: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 | By: Dennis

"INTEL HAS CUT the prices of its Pentium 4 processors in advance of the expected launch of a new 3.06GHz Pentium 4 processor Thursday"
    HyperThreading is almost here big grin smile

• Interview With David Kirk of Nvidia @ Hardware Accelerated

"The nForce2 was recently announced, what kind of feedback has this seen? Serial ATA was not included however, is there a reason for this? "

NVIDIA is evaluating SerialATA as a feature for our next-generation products, however, the saturation point for SerialATA devices is not high enough for inclusion at this time. There is no point of burdening consumers with a cost for a feature they probably won’t take advantage of.

I would have to agree with him, at least for now.

• MX500 Optical Mouse Review @ Envy News

Over the years I have loved and hated Logitech. One moment they release the worlds greatest mouse, the next min it is discontinued and replaced with yet another one that more or less sux. I could be too critical but then again I look beyond any technical achievement they may include since using the mouse is really the most important aspect.

As you can guess I really don't like the new mouse and find the MouseMan Dual Optical to be a better buy.

• Enermax EG465P-FC 430w Review @ Inside-Hardware

Its not very often I post power supply reviews but... Well here is a clip.
    "A long time ago, in a distant galaxy far far away power supplies were once overlooked. After years of neglect the power supply industry has finally exploded. The need for more power has become vital with the creation of new more powerful silicon chips. Processors currently at 3 GHZ, excessive complusive's disorders with case fans, peliter coolers, super fast cdroms and level 5 raid array's..."
    Watch out for the Wookie. big grin smile