Tech News

• Chaintech 7NJS nForce2 Review @ VR-Zone

Published: Monday, November 11, 2002 | By: Dennis

Chaintech has been making quite a name for themselves in recent months and I think the following quote tells it all.
    "Chaintech 7NJS nForce2 board is based on the latest ZENITH series which is a more powerful solution over the current successful APOGEE series. Many more goodies and features are being added into the ZENITH series of boards making them the best featured and most accessories bundled boards of all time."
    This is pretty exciting since the growing trend is to include just what is necessary to install the motherboard making the user buy the rest.

• XtremeDDR PC-3500+ Review @ MBReview

I'm still a fan of the Corsair stuff but I'm open-minded to the other offerings out there. MBReview has a three-way posted between some of the big names in PC3500 memory. Corsair, Samsung, and XtremeDDR.

What chips do you think XtremeDDR uses?

• AquaXtreme-XP Watercooler Review @ OCAddition

I've been trying to get into watercooling lately and with the wide variety of kits available it doesn't make much sense to build one from scratch anymore. OCAddition installed the AquaXtreme-XP from CoolTechnica and seems to like it.

• Abit BE7-RAID Review @ Legion Hardware

This is one of the few pumpkin colored motherboards on the market, and in a way it kind of scares me. tongue smile This board features the i845PE chipset from Intel along with the normal things we have come to expect from an Abit motherboard product.

• Reducing Case Vibration

Published: Friday, November 8, 2002 | By: Dennis

Case vibration is one of the main causes of noise in home-built PC's and the solution to the problem isn't that hard to solve.

a) Buy a real case that uses good quality sheet metal. recommended
    b) Spend the money you saved buying that cheap ass case to buy some sound deadening material (i.e. Dynamat)

Dynamat's main purpose in life is to change the resonating frequency of material, in this sheet metal. The stuff is made out of a tar like substance that is easily shaped by heat and has a glued backing so it will adhere to just about anything. Not only does it stink up a storm but it will also make your case very heavy.

I will be addressing sound deadeners in my forth-coming case-modding how-tos.

• nForce2 vs. KT400: Gaming Performance

Published: Thursday, November 7, 2002 | By: Dennis

Instead of going a complete comparison between the two chipsets the amdmb guys opted to concentrate on gaming performance between two unknown motherboards using these chipsets.

The whole article just to say this.
    "we discovered that the problem was restricted to only OpenGL or Quake III engine-based games and that the bottleneck was in the way those software components interacted with the 8x AGP bus. "

• DevEdge Interview With Douglas Bowman

Published: Wednesday, November 6, 2002 | By: Dennis

"One of the Web's oldest news sites, Wired News draws between 20 and 25 million page views every month. On October 11, 2002, Wired launched a brand-new site design that uses validating XHTML for its structure and a small collection of CSS files for its layout. The new design clearly shows what some experts have been saying: that standards-based design can be visually compelling and preserve the interface conventions we've come to expect from Web pages. "
    The new layout uses 13 stylesheets and not a single formatting table. big grin smile I considered building Ninjalane v2.0 as a standards compliant website but to many of the visitors here still use non-standards compliant browsers.

Maybe that will be the next poll question. hummm

• Good Comics Today

Today is a great day for online comics. The "Tube" saga continues at Penny Arcade, and looks to be in vain for Tycho.

• AMD Could Extend 333MHz FSB to Athlon XP 2600+

Could this be a gift from AMD or just a feeble attempt to keep an aging processor line alive for just a few months more? I think the jury will be out on this one for a while.
    "Despite its launch of the new 333MHz FSB Athlon XP 2700+ and 2800+ on October 1 and continuing production transfer to the 0.13-micron process, AMD has been facing tough sales, as its latest processors attract mainly top-end users with their relatively higher prices and its progress in transferring processes has still been slower than that of archrival Intel."

• Albatron PX845E Silver Edition Review @ accelenation

Published: Tuesday, November 5, 2002 | By: Dennis

I always get a kick out of accelenation reviews since there is usually something pretty wacky contained within.
    "Like always, before I get to the benchmarks I like to check the FSB to make sure the manufacturer isn’t cheating in benchmarks, which some manufacturers are known to do. Here the PX845E’s FSB is clocked only a tad higher then the Intel Desktop boards, which shouldn’t make that much of a difference in benchmarks."
    I think this is pretty much standard practice. happy smile