Tech News

• Back door proposed for encryption programs

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 | By: Dennis

The ever thinking lawmakers seem to think that putting a back door into encryption software will prevent terrorist attacks. Well, there seems to be no evidence that the terrorist used encryption, actually they used Steganography, also known as hiding messages in pictures.

• Retail Future for AMD not looking good

Published: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 | By: Dennis

It would appear that another computer company has decided against using AMD processors in their systems. This one is pretty big too, Gateway.

• leaked version of Unreal 2??

Published: Monday, September 24, 2001 | By: Dennis

The running rumor is that floating around the net is a pre-Alpha version of Unreal2. I cannot disclose if this is real or not but I have the means to find out. wink smile

• Intel Cancels 2GHz Xeon for 2.2GHz

Published: Thursday, September 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

The Xeon line of processors never really followed suit to the desktop equivalent, and really this is good news. As you might already know the regular Pentium 4 will not run in SMP mode like the Pentium 3. Instead Intel targeted the Xeon line for SMP applications that we would normally see in high-end workstations and servers. Since Intel doesn't release that many versions of the Xeon processor so the 2.2 will be a welcome addition.

• VIA Fights Back

Via has struck back with legal action to stop production of the Pentium 4 saying it violates a Centaur patent.

The Intel vs. Via plot thickens. shock smile

• Pegasus Mail 4 Preview Release

I have long been a fan of Pegasus Mail and have used it for quite some time now. Well David Harris has been working on a new version to Pegasus Mail, version 4, that has recently been released as a Public Preview. Make sure to look over the readme file before installing.

• Intel and Rambus together again

Published: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 | By: Dennis

It would appear that Intel and Rambus have renegotiated their licensing agreements to a level that benefits both companies.

It would appear that Rambus isn't as dead as we once thought at least for the next 5 years. Good news for shareholders too the stock is back up too.

• Cool New Virus

I usually don't report things like this but I figured it was worthwhile.

" This worm, named W32/Nimda.A-mm, is dangerously different than virtually all other e-mail and network-borne viruses: It can infect a computer when a user simply clicks on the subject line of an e-mail in an attempt to open it, or visits a Web page housed on an infected server."

This worm is actually pretty dangerous since it combines "features" of other network virri in its attempt to cause discomfort to the casual Internet user. Watch out the W32/Nimda.A-mm worm is on the loose.

• Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP Test

I have downloaded the MP Test and all I can say is "W0W". The player models and weapons look great and the GUI interface looks to be sampled from the Quake 3 TA release. The map that I played was a bit on the dark side so it was hard to see. Other than that I would highly recommend the download.

• Freeway FWD-CUPA Motherboard Review

Here comes a motherboard that seriously has everything you could ever want and some stuff you never figured you could use. The really fun thing about this motherboard is that it comes in two flavors, Intel and Athlon. The Athlon review is coming soon.