Tech News

• Digital Divide is getting lower

Published: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 | By: Dennis

Some of us here at Ninjalane.com have lived in the third-world or "under-developed" nations for extended periods of time. Now a company in India is looking to bring persons in these part of the world a little closer to the tech centers of Earth, with the "Simputer", a wireless handheld device similar to a PDA. We applaud their efforts, and wish them the best.

• Municipalities consider MicroSoft Enterprise License

Microsoft lawyers have sent a series of letters to local and state government institutions asking if they can 'voluntarily' come in and audit there networks for license compliance. I think the standard response would be, Uh........ no.

• RAM prices falling, chip manufacturers taking stand.

Three Taiwanese companies have bonded together to tell the world, "the price of memory is too low". They have said they will stop shipments if the price drops past a certain point.

• New Cards from Creative

Published: Monday, August 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

Better late than never. Not exactly the best business practice in the world but it seems to work well for Creative. This time they belly up with a new sound card they call "Audigy". I'm sure we will hear more about this card in the coming months, until then keep your eyes pealed.

• How to Hack Hotmail

Published: Monday, August 20, 2001 | By: Dennis

I haven't tried this but my first thought after reading this post was. "Some people have too much time on their hands" But really if you know anything about how web programming works its not that hard to understand.

UPDATE: the unoffical word from our sources at Microsoft say the hotmail bug will be fixed today.

• MsConfig for Windows2000

Published: Sunday, August 19, 2001 | By: Dennis

What can I say it works. Many of these features are accessible in the control panel either by the system icon or in Admin tools. Though the nice thing about msconfig is that all of them are in one place.

• Stealth CD-Rom Cover

Published: Thursday, August 16, 2001 | By: Dennis

This is one of the silliest things that I've ever seen. Still you have to admit it is pretty crafty and much easier than simply painting it.

We have our own Steath mod here at Ninjalane quite happy with how it turned out too.

• Gigabyte 7DXR Review @ the Duke of URL

The Duke of URL, one of my Web Developer friends used to call himself that and many times we had to ask permission to enter his domain. (Yes I know a little dry though it was too humorous to pass up.)

When this board was first announced I decided to get on the list and pre-order the 7DXR. Never again, not more than 2 weeks ago did it finally show up. Expect a review of this board soon.

• KDE 2.2 Ready for Enterprise Deployment

Available in 34 languages, KDE is one of the top Desktop Environments available for Linux and Unix. KDE will run all all of your 'nix machines and make administration easy and in some cases fun!

• Soyo K7VDragon Review @ NewsForge

Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 | By: Dennis

Soyo strikes back and this time with a colorful motherboard who's name is actually an acronym for what the board does. DDR SDRAM, RAID controller on board, Audio on board, Graphics (representing the AGP Pro slot), Overclocking and Networking.