Tech News

• Nvidia Gets Xbox II Deal

Published: Friday, July 19, 2002 | By: Dennis

This is quite amazing considering that the two companies have been less than favorable to each other since the release of the original Xbox. I'd guess it had something to do with the decline of nVida's stock price.

Anyhow w00t to nVidia!! cool smilebig grin smile

• Intergrated Chipsets Becoming Popular?!?

I can understand the demand for integrated solutions for corporate and OEM computers but for the computer enthusiast like myself integrated solutions tend to cause problems. Though I will admit Soltek has demonstrated some pretty extreme overclocking with the Intel i845G chipset.

• China Could Strike!!

The way I understand it China has threatened to invade Taiwan for years now and considering they are only 100 miles away shore to shore there isn't much we can do to prevent it from happening.

I say leave Taiwan alone!

• Water Cooled Laptop

Currently they are only selling these units to corporate customers but if the demand is high enough they will start mass producing them.

"The new products are slightly thicker than existing air-cooled Flora models, in order to show the tank at the back of the LCD (liquid crystal display) panel and hence differentiate the water-cooled machine, Akabane said. The tank also be hidden, he said."

• One Pager on the ATI 9700 @ [H]ard|OCP

Published: Thursday, July 18, 2002 | By: Dennis

This graphless review is only one page in length making it a pretty quick read. The bottom line is "Did I mention it was really really fast too?"

• ATI's Day of Terror

Published: Thursday, July 18, 2002 | By: Dennis

Well we knew it was coming and I even posted some news giving us the date it would happen. Yep you guessed it, the R250 and R300 GPU's from ATI have been officially announced and is about 20-30% faster than the Ti4600.

"ATI has finally done it; they have finally got all of their moons in alignment and released a GPU that’s not only a leader in performance, but in technology as well and they’ve done it months before NVIDIA."

• Topless Car Wash Continues Despite Ban

Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 | By: Dennis

Daisy Mace has been making headlines left and right with her topless car washing business and the saga continues. Moscow's city council voted five-to-one to ban public nudity thus allowing women to only show clevage in public.

"Other critics say the ban will affect women wearing bikinis." shock smile

• Consumer Distrust of Online Authentication Systems

The way I see it if you can't ensure that something simple like a credit card transaction is completely secure how are we to believe that a personal and unique online ID won't be compromised as well.

"Study findings, made available to CNET News.com, also show that the majority of consumers with identity or authentication service accounts were unaware they had them, and that many consumers had signed up for accounts because they are required in order to use online services. "

• Intel Cost Cutting - 4000 Jobs Lost

"Intel said Tuesday that it will cut 4,000 jobs as the chip giant seeks to lower its expenses amid a slower-than-expected economic recovery, disappointing second-quarter earnings and no clear signs of an upturn."

Funny how you never hear of Intel hiring but it makes national news when jobs are lost. sad smile

• Pass Me a Cup of A/C

CNN has an article speaking of the 100 years of mechanical air conditioning. I didn't realize this but in 1902 a guy by the name of Willis Haviland Carrier changed the world when discovering that by blowing air over pipes filled with cold water you could create a room that is both cooler and considerably drier.