Tech News

• SiS 648 Chipset Review @ Anandtech

Published: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 | By: Dennis

The chipset is basically a SiS 645DX with AGP 8x support and a few features added to the southbridge. Performance wise this chipset almost matches the i850, and for DDR333 thats pretty dang good.

"SiS is the only 3rd party manufacturer other than ATI to have an official license from Intel to produce chipsets for the Pentium 4 platform. Although VIA engineered a perfectly fine chipset without obtaining this seal of approval, they are having a very hard time selling their P4X series of chipsets because of the chipset’s questionable legality. With ATI focusing mostly on the mobile side of the market, SiS is left to produce all of the more cost effective Pentium 4 chipsets. "

• 3GHz by the Holidays!!

Published: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 | By: Dennis

"The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker will come out with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 for desktops later this quarter, and a 3GHz Pentium 4 in time for the holiday buying season, said sources close to the company. Earlier, the company said it would come out with a 3GHz Pentium 4 in the fourth quarter. "

Uhhh, like Umm, Yeah!! big grin smile Though soon the Hammer will fall, could it shatter the P4??

• Quake 3 Arena TV

The CPL is thinking about bringing Quake based competition back to the tournament and to start things off they are planning to host a 1-vs-1 match on TechTV in September.

• VIA Mini-ITX Form Factor

In Taiwan and Japan there is a big push to make computers and electronics smaller so you can fit more of them in a standard apartment. At 170mm x 170mm the Mini-ITX fits this requirement but while only using the 733MHz VIA chip LAN parties will not be its strong point.

• Microsoft Against the Illegal Use of XP

This is kind of old news but still important; Microsoft is working on a rewrite to the algorithm that controls the way Windows XP Corporate keys are generated. The code will be inserted seamlessly into the Service Pack 1 bundle of Windows XP and is aimed at stopping the use of pirated copies.

Looking back it only took a day for even beta releases of XP to be cracked could this release take two?? Time will tell.

• Taisol 3-Way @ PC Abusers

Known for their "Approved by AMD" status Taisol has moved on to the P4 realm and the Abusers of PC have three in the lab for questioning, I even spy one with an upgraded fan.

• i845E Roundup @ Explosive Labs

Pretty much your standard run of the mill round up between FIC, Soltek, and Epox.

"The average pc enthusiast knows Soltek to be a maker of stable, high performing, and affordable products. Soltek even enjoys a nice size flash ad at Tomshardware, because of their incredible success."

Its good to know that an ad at Tomshardware is how you judge a good company from a bad one.

• Another Slow Day

Published: Monday, July 22, 2002 | By: Dennis

It's kind of slow today so I figured I would post an update as to what has been going on here at Ninjalane. First of all after a year of planning and development Ninjalane v2.0 has finally gotten off the ground though the code base will still feature Classic ASP the structure is XHTML. A plan to move the code base to ASP.NET (.aspx) will happen sometime after launch. No launch date has been planned but best guess would be second week in Aug.

We have at least one motherboard review planned for sometime later this month early Aug. I won't go into to much detail at this time but the product will be following the "High Quality & Difficult to Obtain" theme that we try to stick with.

A couple of new case modding "How-To" articles are in the works focusing on some of the more "custom" of mods. Also to complete the "How-To's" full circle a very basic what you need and how to get started "How-To" is also planned.

If you have any suggestions of comments feel free to post them in the Ninjalane Message Forum or email me at redmax@ninjalane.com

• Soyo DRAGON Ultra - Platinum Edition Review @ HardwareZone

Published: Monday, July 22, 2002 | By: Dennis

Here is another view into the Dragon Ultra from Soyo. The HardwareZone guys complained of poor overclocking ability when unable to hit 166MHz FSB.

• P4 533MHz Chipset Roundup @ x-bit-labs

Published: Friday, July 19, 2002 | By: Dennis

All you wanted to know about 533MHz FSB Pentium 4 chipsets but where afraid to ask. Keep in mind though the VIA chipset that is listed in the article isn't in production anymore. It was replaced by the P4X400 not to long ago.